London SE1 community website

Cycling in Central London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 21
Friday 22 November 2013 2.29pm
Robin_Hood wrote:
Boss St Bloke.
Police stopping cyclists for "wearing headphones" should spend their time better, by checking lorries for problems, ticketing drivers going into the ASL when the light is red, etc etc.. all these things are illegal. wearing headphones on a bike is not.

<rest of rant deleted>

Mate - I simply copied a link to the BBC article and offered no opinion of my own.
Saturday 23 November 2013 1.40am
Robin_Hood wrote:
Debrajoan wrote:
On the letters page of today's Evening Standard a cyclist gave his reason for going through lights that were red;
If I stopped at them all it would double my commute time.
Even if that is just a few cyclist's outlook, then it will come as no surprise to me if I carry on reading of more cyclist deaths.

none of the recent cyclist deaths were because they were jumping red lights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I accept that, and I didn't say that any of them had run a red light prior to the incidents that caused their deaths.
I quoted that cyclist's letter as an illustration that HE had no regard for the law, because it might inconvenience him on his commute if he stopped at red lights.
What I was attempting to convey was that if more cyclists adopt the attitude that if they don't wish to conform to traffic laws then they won't, then it might be inevitable that more of them are involved in accidents.
Monday 25 November 2013 2.12pm
dee dee wrote:
and Robin Hood do you not think cyclists should have to read the highway code as well and understand road positioning etc??
The real culprit here is the lack of investment and foresight in road planning
blaming one party or another will not help a serious review into making street safer is needed and recommendation that are acted on

yes i agree 100%!
as a qualified driver i have passed my theory test, which includes reading and answering questions about the highway code.
i also regulary read and brush up on relevant parts of highway codes, for example, the changes, like advanced stop lines etc.
as a vulnerable road user all cyclists should read the highway code and specifically learn the parts about cycling.
cyclists should have years of experience or take a cycle proficiency test/lesson.
if they want to live longer they should learn about road positioning too eg centre of lane and dont position yourself along side (or anywhere near!) a lorry
Monday 25 November 2013 2.19pm
On Saturday I saw a lorry with one of those "Cyclists, stay back" stickers... nn the driver's door. That will help.
Monday 25 November 2013 4.00pm
Cycling is completely misunderstood. Often by born-again cyclists, who find it difficult to shed their motoring preconceptions.
Someone should explain to them that 'jumping' red lights is often the safest option. When you’ve got a Formula 1 grid revving up behind you, you want to be clearly visible to as much of it as possible. And the only way to do that on a bike is to get clear distance (braking distance) between you and the pack. Also it allows you to duck into the ‘wake’ of any parked vehicles up the road to avoid the worst of the rush. That’s often why cyclists ‘jump’ red lights. Pure safety.
One solution would be a 5 mph limit for the first 30/40 yards after a junction, to give unpowered traffic time to escape the rush. Like the Formula 1 pit lane. But presumably that would be another abominable attack on the rights of the motorist.
http://littlerichardjohn.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/cycling-misconceptions/
Monday 25 November 2013 5.16pm
One solution, Richard, would be to move away from such partisan ranting.

I don't think anyone would have the slightest problem with cyclists jumping red lights if they did it at a very slow pace, and after giving way to any pedestrians. They'd be like the proverbial tree falling unobserved in the forest. No one would give a hoot.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 25 November 2013 5.19pm
Little Richardjohn wrote:
Cycling is completely misunderstood. Often by born-again cyclists, who find it difficult to shed their motoring preconceptions.
Someone should explain to them that 'jumping' red lights is often the safest option. When you’ve got a Formula 1 grid revving up behind you, you want to be clearly visible to as much of it as possible. And the only way to do that on a bike is to get clear distance (braking distance) between you and the pack. Also it allows you to duck into the ‘wake’ of any parked vehicles up the road to avoid the worst of the rush. That’s often why cyclists ‘jump’ red lights. Pure safety.
One solution would be a 5 mph limit for the first 30/40 yards after a junction, to give unpowered traffic time to escape the rush. Like the Formula 1 pit lane. But presumably that would be another abominable attack on the rights of the motorist.
http://littlerichardjohn.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/cycling-misconceptions/

I've done a fair amount of cycling in traffic and elsewhere - I'd say that while in some cases you might be right that cyclists think that jumping the light is the safest option, the majority do it because it is convenient for them.

I find that as long as you position yourself right in front of the traffic behind you at the lights, most are patient enough and wait for you to move off. The greater problem (and one that would put you at significant risk if you jump lights without caution) is the habit for motor vehicles to jump the red/amber light. You have to wait several seconds after the light has turned red for the traffic to stop passing through, and if you've jumped your own light ahead of it turning green, you're almost certain to have a problem.
Wednesday 27 November 2013 2.02pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
On Saturday I saw a lorry with one of those "Cyclists, stay back" stickers... nn the driver's door. That will help.

even worse, i saw the A4 sized "FORS" sticker (which advertises that the lorry has extra sensors and mirrors to see cyclists) stuck on the left cab door window... wow thats going to help you SEE the cyclists before you crush them to death isnt it?!
Wednesday 27 November 2013 8.17pm
I cycle every day, commuting to work and back. I never jump a red light, but wherever possible put myself in front of traffic and give clear signs where I want to go - unfortunately that doesn't always prevent a problem. Sometimes I don't make it to the top of the road in time, the lights have turned green already and it can get tricky to avoid traffic wanting to turn left when I want to go straight but find myself in the cycle lane.
I find that more often than in the past pedestrians, especially during rush hour, are the biggest problem for me. I have a neon cover for my backpack, cycle with lights on etc. But pedestrians don't have that, and sometimes they are difficult to see in the dark when they appear out of nowhere in the my lane. Joggers jump into the cycle lane without looking out for bikes, just to avoid a congested pavement. I even had pedestrians walking towards me (!) in the cycle lane, not showing any sign of moving back onto the pavement despite clearly having seen me - do they really expect me to swerve to the right into the car lane, when I cannot assess the traffic behind me? Using bells is useless as most pedestrians walk around with earphones. We talk about cyclists jumping red lights - pedestrians cross roads everywhere but at the lights, without much consideration for cyclists, in my view. The commute back home can be pretty stressful at times, really testing my brakes - and I am not a fast cyclist!
Saturday 30 November 2013 12.11pm
Guy's street wrote:
I've done a fair amount of cycling in traffic and elsewhere - I'd say that while in some cases you might be right that cyclists think that jumping the light is the safest option, the majority do it because it is convenient for them.
We have no way of knowing the breakdown. But it is still the safest way to avoid being sideswiped by a vehicle racing from the green light. And most experienced cyclists sense this, as indeed you do.
The issue is not the patience of the grid, which you are very charitable about, but being clearly visible in the distance to as many drivers as possible.
Naturally, not looking before you cross is inviting suicide. Tellingly, that is not the objection raised by drivers. Rather, it is that of 'breaking the rules', as if they didn't.
It may also be significant that many cyclists now are ex-drivers, with a driver's mentality and habits, and all that brings to their behaviour.
And prize idiot thought he his, Johnson is right about cyclists who deliberatey disable an entire sense while riding in town. Earphones are the equivalent of wearing blinkers.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 21

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions