London SE1 community website

Cycling in Central London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 7 of 21
Sunday 1 December 2013 5.47pm
Any news on the abbey streetjunction?????? We were supposed to get better lights and a crossing
Monday 2 December 2013 10.14am
I speak as a pedestrian (mostly) but I can appreciate that this current situation (poor provision) is not good for motorists, cyclist and pedestrians alike. What is stopping me from cycling is that mainly I'm too scared to and I have no secure storage for a bike (there have been several thefts of bikes from our address on Long Lane). As a pedestrian I do see may examples of bad cycling and sometimes that bad cycling is a direct threat to my health. But that goes for motorists too and sometimes even other pedestrians. What I do find really annoying though is the attitude as shown by Brit above. Brit says that "... most pedestrians walk around with earphones." and that "... pedestrians cross roads everywhere but at the lights, without much consideration for cyclists, ...". Well neither apply to me Brit and as I walk around, I see that the majority don't behave like this either. You see common sense tells us that it's not wise to test the body against the impact caused by being hit by a fast moving vehicle.
Monday 2 December 2013 10.54am
Total number of cyclist fatalities in which earphones were a factor?

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/number_of_cyclists_ksi_known_or?unfold=1#incoming-453434

Zero.
Monday 2 December 2013 12.45pm
'cyclists should have years of experience or take a cycle proficiency test/lesson.'
So you'd be in favour of a formal test. As with a car.
One way to poison cycling at the root, I suppose. Numberplates and licences and compulsory insurance are other ways.
Monday 2 December 2013 1.15pm
spindrift wrote:
Total number of cyclist fatalities in which earphones were a factor?
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/number_of_cyclists_ksi_known_or?unfold=1#incoming-453434

Zero.

That might be the case, but the Metropolitan Police's response to that FOI request says they don't know.
Monday 2 December 2013 1.34pm
peterroe wrote:
I speak as a pedestrian (mostly) but I can appreciate that this current situation (poor provision) is not good for motorists, cyclist and pedestrians alike. What is stopping me from cycling is that mainly I'm too scared to and I have no secure storage for a bike (there have been several thefts of bikes from our address on Long Lane). As a pedestrian I do see may examples of bad cycling and sometimes that bad cycling is a direct threat to my health. But that goes for motorists too and sometimes even other pedestrians. What I do find really annoying though is the attitude as shown by Brit above. Brit says that "... most pedestrians walk around with earphones." and that "... pedestrians cross roads everywhere but at the lights, without much consideration for cyclists, ...". Well neither apply to me Brit and as I walk around, I see that the majority don't behave like this either. You see common sense tells us that it's not wise to test the body against the impact caused by being hit by a fast moving vehicle.

See That's the thing,on this and other threads the debate isn't really about cyclists ,motorists or pedestrians,it's about idiots,and they will always exist.
Monday 2 December 2013 2.49pm
Little Richardjohn wrote:
So you'd be in favour of a formal test. As with a car.

I know that it sounds draconian, but looked at another way it might also sound foolhardy to encourage the most vulnerable group of road users to take to the roads with no training at all.

I'm not saying that I think licensing/training is a must...I don't really know what I think about that...but I know I wouldn't encourage anyone to cycle on the roads without some sort of road-sense/training.

I know that a lot of cyclists will already have a license for some other kind of vehicle, but given that it's enormously expensive to get even a m/c license these days (traditionally a cheap way to get any sort of driving license), I think it's more common for urban dwellers not to have a car or m/c license.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 2 December 2013 3.07pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
I know that it sounds draconian, but looked at another way it might also sound foolhardy to encourage the most vulnerable group of road users to take to the roads with no training at all.

Luckily many children (and adults) are being given training - the national programme called Bikeability aims to train 1.5 million children by 2015, see here.
Monday 2 December 2013 3.28pm
Admirable idea, by the sounds of it.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 2 December 2013 9.47pm
TFL will provide free 'workplace' training for cyclists as part of their cycle to work scheme.

I'm 51. My mother wouldn't let me ride a bike till I left home for fear of safety ;), but when I went to university I got bitten by the bug (Cambridge is a cycle city). I soon realised I was not safe to ride outside Cambridge so I bought the highway code and and some books on cycling. A section in the wonderful 'Richard's Bicycle Book' on cycling 'defensively' in cities I almost learnt by heart. By 'defensively' he really meant - 'how not to get killed and always have a 'plan B'. I then cycled everywhere and built up my road sense gradually, including cycle touring holidays.

I've been run over once, in the 80s, coming fast down Headington hill in Oxford, I was overtaken by a car that then immediately turned left in front of me. Maybe a bit older and wiser I wouldn't go so fast... but its strange, everything does go in slow motion. You see the car turning, you know its going to hit you, you take your feet out of the clips, stand on the pedals, put your right hand on the seat as you push the bike under the car and roll over elbows around your head the other way. All of this in less than 2 seconds... The bike was a write off, I was just bruised. All because I had learnt to make having a 'bail out' plan just part of being on the road.

I agree training is PART of the answer, after all anything that saves lives is welcome, but we do need to improve driver awareness, HGV safety and road design as well.

I consider myself a safe and considerate, law abiding cyclist. However there are some places I won't go on a bike. Aldgate for one.... Its about balancing risks.
Current: 7 of 21

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions