London SE1 community website

Elephant and Castle leisure centre name

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Tuesday 3 December 2013 1.47am
Hopefully not just another White Elephant ;)
Tuesday 3 December 2013 10.25am
I like Trunks!

With the cafe and swimming pool combo, how about "Chips and Dips"?
Tuesday 3 December 2013 10.46pm
The Heygate Leisure Centre (including public baths, for social cleansing)
Tuesday 3 December 2013 10.47pm
Pieces of Eight wrote:
The Heygate Leisure Centre (including public baths, for social cleansing)

what do you mean??!?!?!?!?!?!
Zoe
Wednesday 4 December 2013 8.04am
What is it with threads about the elephant and holocaust references. Enough already.
Wednesday 4 December 2013 12.29pm
I don't think that's a reference to the holocaust at all,I think it's a play on words and a reference to whats been going on ie:the social cleansing a la Heygate!

Good grief.
Wednesday 4 December 2013 3.44pm
Back to the original theme: Trunks and Dunks?
I agree that Aqua aswell as being deeply unoriginal sounds like a 1980s nightclub
TAK
Wednesday 4 December 2013 5.15pm
graham wrote:
What about:
Elephant & Castle Leisure Centre
just an idea.

I have to agree with Graham, after all it's the leisure centre at Elephant and Castle, so lets call it Elephant and Castle Leisure Centre. This can easy be shorted to The Elephant Leisure when talking to friends etc.

What's genius in the name is that one will immediately know where it is without needing to know any historic details or whatever from centuries ago which would not happen with any of the other suggestions.

Besides, I always thought Elephant and Castle as being a really nice name actually, it's just some minds that need to get over the bad connotations that some people associate with it. We're at the Elephant, so let's be proud of it rather than hide it.
Thursday 5 December 2013 12.26am
boroughonian wrote:
I don't think that's a reference to the holocaust at all,I think it's a play on words and a reference to whats been going on ie:the social cleansing a la Heygate!
Good grief.

That was exactly what I was alluding to. I like to make light of many things Zoe, but the holocaust certainly isn't one of them.
Thursday 5 December 2013 4.06pm
I agree - "The Elephant & Castle Leisure Centre" is a lot less pretentious than any of the suggestions - and why the only normal option was "Castle" rather than "Elephant" (or both) I can't guess.

Tim
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions