London SE1 community website

Elephant and Castle leisure centre name

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Saturday 18 January 2014 10.41pm
personally I prefer the old Mark Spitz wikipedia entry - with the GOLD at E&C in 1956 for "rescuing brick from the deep end" http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mark_Spitz&oldid=86262777 very droll
TAK
Wednesday 12 February 2014 1.07am
Extract from February Elephant and Castle Newsletter from Southwark Council:

'Members of the public were given the opportunity to suggest a name or could opt for their favourite of the shortlisted suggestions. All the preferences received by the deadline were then put forward to a panel at Southwark Council for a final decision.'

Doesn't this statement make it sound as if the name was chosen by public instead of by Southwark Council and Lend Lease? Or am I misunderstanding the extract?
Wednesday 12 February 2014 7.40am
Yes TAK, welcome to New Southwark
Wednesday 12 February 2014 11.41am
Southwark certainly don't want locals choosing anything in their favour such as how a regeneration that affects them might be, so choosing the name for the new smaller leisure centre in the shadow of 40+ storeys of posh flats marketed overseas is just one more decision foisted upon us all.

Nice long sentence that one above. Yum.
TAK
Wednesday 12 February 2014 1.04pm
graham wrote:
Yes TAK, welcome to New Southwark

Thanks Graham, just wanted to make sure I didn't get the wrong end of the stick.

I find it utterly infuriating, and this is not the first time but much more common practice from what I see from Southwark, how they turn things around, release misleading statements etc.....Do they really think the public won't realise what's going on? Or is it a matter of Southwark hoping if they write something often enough it becomes automatically the truth?
Wednesday 12 February 2014 2.08pm
I'm not sure how that's misleading, since that's exactly what they did.

'Members of the public were given the opportunity to suggest a name or could opt for their favourite of the shortlisted suggestions. All the preferences received by the deadline were then put forward to a panel at Southwark Council for a final decision.'

"Circuit" was top public choice, but many votes came from the same computer so it was discounted, and "Chaplin" and "The Castle" were a virtual dead heat for second. The names were put to a panel (just like they said they would) and they chose "The Castle". Seems like a fair way to do it (and personally I think they made the right choice), but nothing underhanded. If they just left it to a pure binding public vote (and given the relatively small number of voters) some scally with a bit of spare time could have pushed through whatever name they felt like. I'm sure that some on this site would have loved to see the new leisure centre named the "CrapHole" but I'm certain that a vast majority of the borough are fine with the name and the way it was selected.
Monday 19 January 2015 1.47pm
Any news on an opening date? I've only seen 'Spring' in the past.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions