London SE1 community website

Recommendations for Dinghy Sailing Courses

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Wednesday 4 December 2013 9.07pm
there is a sailing school called Hamilton Sailing. they conduct classes somewhere near to The Crown pub as they come in afterwards for drinks sometimes.
i think they do beginners right up to skippers classes
and they take the classes sailing on weekends.

dont have a contact other than the instructors name is Mark.
Monday 9 December 2013 9.46am
There is also Shadwell Basin Activity Centre who do very good sailing courses. Just over the river in Wapping/Shadwell.
I've been kayaking with them and enjoyed it very much.
Monday 9 December 2013 11.02am
I'm with the sailing club at Shadwell Basin. There are courses run through the centre from about April to October, have a look at http://www.shadwell-basin.co.uk/ for more information. The sailing club meets on Tuesday evenings during the same months, sailing open to all, no experience necessary, more info at http://www.shadwellsailing.com/

Alex.
Thursday 12 December 2013 2.12pm
Thank you for your recommendations, that will make a great 40th birthday present.
Wednesday 18 December 2013 4.49pm
I did the RYA Level 1 and Level 2 courses at the Westminster Boating Base http://www.westminsterboatingbase.co.uk/ a couple of years ago; great fun and amazingly good value (works out to about 10/hr).

You learn to sail along the river between Vauxhall and Battersea - being allowed to pootle about on such a busy stretch of the river is a treat unto itself.

I did the adults' course (it's primarily a charity aimed at getting kids out on the water) and met some great people too. Highly recommend it! I learned enough to be able to hire a small dinghy when on holiday in the Med (which was a LOT easier than the Thames ;) )

tam

PS - I enjoyed it all so much I also did the powerboat training course a month later! Also fun, but you spend more time on the water if doing the sailing course.
Wednesday 18 December 2013 7.59pm
I did RYA 2 at WBB ALSO, and had a similarly good experience.
Being objective, the only drawback is that learning on the Thames involves constantly fighting the current - which is great if you plan to sail in tidal waters in the future, but possibly not so useful if you plan on sailing on a lake.
Welsh Harp (well out of SE1) is a friendly lake-based place to learn. And they have a nice clubhouse.

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions