London SE1 community website

Disused toilets TBR & Grange Rd

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Tuesday 8 April 2014 8.47pm
Yes that looks to be correct.

Licence application:
http://app.southwark.gov.uk/Licensing/LicPremisesAppliedDetails.asp?systemkey=844535

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 9 April 2014 9.06am
Exciting!
Friday 11 April 2014 12.50pm
I live very close to these toilets and was concerned to see they are applying for a licence for staying open until 2:30 every night with live & recorded music until 2am! Does that seem excessive to anyone else? Does anyone have experience with this?
Tuesday 15 April 2014 9.04am
It seems to me that this development provides a major regeneration opportunity for Tower Bridge Road. Given the limited size of the premises the business model will have to be the sort of cocktail bar currently in development (bar manager with mixology experience being recruited now, apparently). As such music will be relatively low key ie no big club nights!
Late night opening is likely to be a fairly key aspect of making this kind of upmarket business profitable. The best way of turning this into a hell hole would be to limit the licensing hours, ironically.

These premises are about as stand alone as you are likely to get in this location. So whilst some might feel queasy about creeping gentrification, I am all for this development if it brings activity and life to a neglected corner. It can only, please God, discourage anti social behaviour we currently put up with because of 24 hour off licences where nightly urinating in the streets is sometimes charmingly accompanied by defecating on the pavement. People do these things when they think no one around, so more people walking around the area late at night would be a VERY positive contribution.
Tuesday 15 April 2014 12.51pm
yes i agree with Jridley68.

i usually avoid the corner of tower bridge road and grange road. dodgy people always hanging around the bus stops asking for money, or loitering. doesn't feel safe. had a friend who had their mobile stolen from kids on bikes there.

i noticed on grange walk ( tower bridge rd corner ), that the corner has been bricked up to prevent people urinating there. was a common urinal for everyone...

the area needs a decent boozer. bermondsey street is lacking of a decent place. i like the garrison, not the woolpack
Tuesday 15 April 2014 1.18pm
babodonk wrote:
i usually avoid the corner of tower bridge road and grange road. dodgy people always hanging around the bus stops asking for money, or loitering. doesn't feel safe. had a friend who had their mobile stolen from kids on bikes there.

i noticed on grange walk ( tower bridge rd corner ), that the corner has been bricked up to prevent people urinating there. was a common urinal for everyone...

the area needs a decent boozer. bermondsey street is lacking of a decent place. i like the garrison, not the woolpack

Without drifting too far off topic, Simon the Tanner is a 'decent boozer' and just round the corner. Is it the Marigold on the south end of Bermondsey St as well? I quite like it in there.

Funnily enough, I walked past them bricking up the corner you mention the weekend before last and couldn't work out what had been there before, whether they were replacing a broken wall or something. I walk past it several times a week - you've solved a personal mystery for me!
Tuesday 15 April 2014 3.48pm
babodonk wrote:

You need to try the Marigold; Kev and his team keep a good house and I'm saying that as a blow in. Simon the Tanner is also to be recommended.
Tuesday 15 April 2014 6.39pm
Went to the Marigold I thought it was nice, and they had the most amazing sausages, thought they were so nice I even asked the chef where he got them!
Saturday 17 May 2014 11.45pm
Excellent addition to the neighbourhood. Great staff and brilliant cocktails! You must check it out!
Sunday 18 May 2014 1.52pm
I had a chat with the doorman last night on my way home from the night market. Apparently they are open Fridays and Saturdays. I wasn't sure my shorts and flip-flops were cocktail attire, so I didn't go in.

There are some photos and feedback via their Twitter feed https://twitter.com/bermondseyarts
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions