London SE1 community website

Simon Hughes - climbing the greasy pole

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Sunday 22 December 2013 3.50pm
He was one of the MPs who voted against an investigation into the hunger/poverty issues behind food banks:

http://agirlcalledjack.com/2013/12/19/the-296-mps-who-voted-against-investigating-food-banks-use-and-uk-hunger-the-list/
Monday 23 December 2013 8.36am
That's how you get elevated.
Siples!
Monday 23 December 2013 8.38am
Siples?
Should have read "Simples"
Monday 23 December 2013 6.11pm
so bunhouse, i presume you have never sought promotion in your field of work?
Tuesday 24 December 2013 9.01am
No, Shaggy, I have not. Being an unskilled worker there was never the opportunity. To rise from the ranks I had to change my job.

If I had sought promotion what on earth has that got to do with the subject under discussion ?

It would seem that you are offering the excuse that to get promotion it is OK to sacrifice your alledged principles and betray your electorate. Promotion comes first above all else it would seem.
Monday 30 December 2013 10.59pm
Whats the point of going into a job if not to get promotion, with Baker in the Homeoffice and Hughes in the Justice department I think its a good move by Clegg to stop some of the nasty retoric coming from Grayling and Teresa May and the nastiness the Tories spout.
Hes always been a good constituency MP unless your Lab supporter who feels betrayed because of the coalition I cant see a problem our MP being in government.
Tuesday 31 December 2013 10.09am
It's not the Labour supporters who were betrayed' or feel betrayed, it is the Lib/Dem constituents who voted for him and his election manifesto and pledges, signed pledges, who have been betrayed.

To my mind and recollection this coalition government is the most right wing government I have ever seen.They are doing things even Thatcher baulked at such as privatisation of the NHS, privatisation of the Royal Mail to their mates in the city as well as the most successful profit making railway company the East Coast Line.

And who helps them do all this, and the attacks on the poorest peoples benefits, by voting through these pernicious bills? Good Old Simon.
Wednesday 1 January 2014 11.15pm
I always vote for Simon, not the lib-dems, and don't care much for politics since all the big parties are the same. My only concern on this appointment is how will he find the time to continue his local work, he can have his minister job, so long as he still has time for local issues. If he gives that up then its game over, but I hope not as he's a proper local hero.

I'm a long time lurker but never have much to say here... except I think you'll find a lot of locals will continue voting for Simon, but cannot name any cabinet ministers.
Thursday 2 January 2014 9.47am
I think it is good for his constituents to have a Front Bencher as their representative.

Since Simon had previously indicated he did not wish to serve in Government, his appointment must indicate that he was able to gain some policy concessions.

One doesn't just sell out after 30 years in the Commons...
Friday 3 January 2014 10.00am
Concessions. What concessions?
He and the other Lib/Dems sold out as soon as they went into coalition.
I am not saying they should have formed a government with Labour, they should have remained independent in a Parliament with no party having overall control and thus be able to exert more influence over the other two parties and their more noxious policies for the good of all of us and the country.Instead they, the Lib/Dems, have become the self-serving lackeys of this horrendous right wing government.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions