London SE1 community website

Simon Hughes - climbing the greasy pole

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Friday 3 January 2014 10.16am
Thebunhouse wrote:
self-serving lackeys
is that, like, literally, possible?

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 6 January 2014 6.59am
I suspect very few of the people who voted for Hughes thought they would be backing someone who would:

- take a job in a Tory-led government;
- break his key election pledges to local people;
- contribute to the loss of Southwark fire station;
- vote for a highly damaging NHS reorganisation which has contributed to 2,000 local people waiting longer than 18 weeks for treatment;
- back budgets which have resulted in the loss of 130 local police officers;
- vote for the bedroom tax despite a lack of alternative accommodation for people in Southwark needing to move home as a result; or
- cut help to thousands of local disabled people.

Here's what Political Scrapbook had to say about Hughes breaking his own pledge not to take a ministerial role (amongst other duplicity): http://politicalscrapbook.net/2013/12/simon-hughes-brazen-lies-and-hypocrisy/ 

2015 offers a choice between a Labour or Tory government. Hughes has made quite clear which he prefers. I hope local people will vote for change. 
Monday 6 January 2014 11.14am
Quote:
2015 offers a choice between a Labour or Tory government

You're right about Simon Hughes' collaboration with the Tories in the dismantling of the post-war settlement, Neil.

But, although it did some good stuff (eg SureStart, investment in school buildings and hospitals) the last Labour government implemented Thatcherite free market policies (eg the introduction of ATOS testing of the sick, privatisation of prisons, and allowing private healthcare to cherry pick easy NHS services. They even attempted, and abandoned, privatisation of the Royal Mail) and added unaffordable foreign wars, restrictions on rights of assembly, extended detention without trial and the prospect of ID cards.

Unless your national leadership comes up with some genuinely radical policies (eg Rail nationalisation/massive council house building programme/land taxes), you're offering us a choice between two cheeks of the same neo-liberal arse.
Monday 6 January 2014 11.15am
Oh, I dont know, Neil. Some of us have been around long enough to expect almost anything from our elected representatives. I'm sure someone would be able to post an equivalent list of Labour government decisions that you will have supported by 2020 if you manage to succeed where your predecessors have failed and unseat Simon.

Good luck to you both next year. It looks like being the most interesting GE election we've had around here for quite a while.
Monday 6 January 2014 9.38pm
Mr Coyle, not sure you should be using this forum for your own political gain; could almost be accused of astroturfing.
Tuesday 7 January 2014 10.14am
Karen I wrote:
Mr Coyle, not sure you should be using this forum for your own political gain; could almost be accused of astroturfing.

I'm not sure he should. He's been quite open about being selected PPC for the local Labour party. There are even news stories about it.

In the same way, when Graham posts about, for example, the woeful performance of Southwark Council in regenerating the E&C. Anyone who's been here a while knows he's a LibDem councillor and he doesn't need to mention it again.

I just wish more local politicians would drop by and take part in the discussion. Unfortunately, many of them only seem to get time to talk to property developers and speculators.
Tuesday 7 January 2014 10.15am
Much as I despise what Simon Hughes has become during this Paliament I do not believe he would use this site to denigrate his political opponent during the run-up to an election. He must have learned the lesson of his unsavoury homophobic attacks on Peter Tatchell during the General Election when he was first elected as an MP.
Mr. Coyle, I agree with Karen except I would call what you have done as electioneering at a very early stage and would suggest that you preface any postings you make with the heading PPC(Labour) so that we all know where you are coming from and where you wish to go.
But it would be even better if neither Mr. Coyle nor Mr. Hughes used this site to promote themselves in the run-up to the next election.
Tuesday 7 January 2014 11.05am
Rambling Phil is right.

I am more than happy for local politicians to take part in this forum.

It would be preferable if they clearly identified their role and party affiliation to avoid any misunderstanding.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 7 January 2014 11.24am
Thebunhouse wrote:
Much as I despise what Simon Hughes has become during this Paliament I do not believe he would use this site to denigrate his political opponent during the run-up to an election. He must have learned the lesson of his unsavoury homophobic attacks on Peter Tatchell during the General Election when he was first elected as an MP.
Mr. Coyle, I agree with Karen except I would call what you have done as electioneering at a very early stage and would suggest that you preface any postings you make with the heading PPC(Labour) so that we all know where you are coming from and where you wish to go.
But it would be even better if neither Mr. Coyle nor Mr. Hughes used this site to promote themselves in the run-up to the next election.

Is that true?
Tuesday 7 January 2014 12.04pm
boroughonian wrote:
Thebunhouse wrote:

Is that true?

It was a nasty, homophobic campaign. I'm not sure how much of the blame can fairly be laid at Simon Hughes' feet but he did apologise to Peter Tatchell for anything the Liberal campaign did wrong ("the straight choice", "I've been kissed by Peter Tatchell"). Tatchell has forgiven Hughes and even endorsed his campaign to be leader of the Liberal Democrats.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions