London SE1 community website

Simon Hughes - climbing the greasy pole

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Tuesday 7 January 2014 12.48pm
Hughes parliamentary career, based on a homophobic campaign while he hid his own sexuality, was born from hypocrisy.

Here is a short piece by Tatchell from earlier this year about the homophobia of 1983: http://www.petertatchell.net/politics/Liberal-dirty-tricks-Bermondsey-by-election-30th-anniversary.htm

As an occasional reader I agree with the suggestion that candidates clearly identify themselves here.
Tuesday 7 January 2014 2.31pm
PhilW wrote:
Hughes parliamentary career, based on a homophobic campaign while he hid his own sexuality, was born from hypocrisy.
Here is a short piece by Tatchell from earlier this year about the homophobia of 1983: http://www.petertatchell.net/politics/Liberal-dirty-tricks-Bermondsey-by-election-30th-anniversary.htm

As an occasional reader I agree with the suggestion that candidates clearly identify themselves here.

Here's the best I could find on that infamous leaflet:

picture share
Tuesday 7 January 2014 8.41pm
"you're offering us a choice between two cheeks of the same neo-liberal arse."

Very good.

Looking at the Labour front bench is not the most inspiring alternative to the current bunch of creepy ideologues. For those of us who haven't voted Labour since Blair's craven and illegal war there's no real reason to return to the fold now.

If 'not as bad as the Tories' is the best sales pitch then it will be "BOLLOCKS" on the ballot paper. Again.
Thursday 23 January 2014 5.52pm
From the Guardian - "A top UN official has made an outspoken attack on the government's controversial lobbying bill, describing it as a "stain" on democracy that will undermine elections in the UK, as leading charities demand fresh concessions on the proposals from coalition ministers."

Following campaigning from 130 charities and NGOs from across the political spectrum, the worst impacts of the Lobbying Bill were watered down in the House of Lords.

On its return to the Commons these amendments, requiring Ministers’ special advisors to record their meetings with lobbyists and changing how much staff costs count towards total spending limits in the run-up to an election, were rejected by MPs.

Needless to say, as part of the government's payroll vote, Simon Hughes voted for this anti-democratic measure.

In my correspondence with his office, he assured me that he supports the lobbying bill because it represents the delivery of a manifesto pledge.

He didn't mention why this pledge was so much more important than his party's pledges on, for example, student funding and equal marriage, though.
Thursday 23 January 2014 11.28pm
Perhaps Slippery Simon can tell us all where exactly in his manifesto was the commitment to gag charities and non-political organisations from campaigning and raising questions about serious matters that affect us all such as his government's destruction of the NHS in favour of privatisation because that is what he has just voted for again with his endorsement of the gagging bill.
Does he really believe that we will overlook his betrayal of Liberal principles and his arrogant betrayal of those constituents who voted for him?
It's likely that he has already chosen his title for the House of Lords. Sugestions are most welcome.
Friday 24 January 2014 4.17pm
JasonSE1 wrote:
Very good.

Looking at the Labour front bench is not the most inspiring alternative to the current bunch of creepy ideologues. For those of us who haven't voted Labour since Blair's craven and illegal war there's no real reason to return to the fold now.

If 'not as bad as the Tories' is the best sales pitch then it will be "BOLLOCKS" on the ballot paper. Again.

the top quote is superb (Where is it from?) and is applicable for pretty much any of them in the 3 'main' parties.
Friday 24 January 2014 6.03pm
pros wrote:
JasonSE1 wrote:
Very good.

the top quote is superb (Where is it from?) and is applicable for pretty much any of them in the 3 'main' parties.

Something George Galloway said quite often,well nightly,when he wa on the radio.

As for suggestions for his prospective lordship,my immediate thought was Lord left cheek,but then he can hardly be called a leftie anymore,Lord right cheek,no as much as I have a problem with his stance on many things he's not a right winger,then I thought that the Liberals are a centrist party,I think I should stop there.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions