London SE1 community website

Ticino vs Franco Manca

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7
Wednesday 26 February 2014 7.24pm
I noticed earlier that there is a premises licence application in the far window of Ticino on Newhams Row. Are they able to serve alcohol if the licence is still in progress? It looks like the consultation period doesn't finish until March 7th.

http://app.southwark.gov.uk/licensing/LicPremisesAppliedDetails.asp?systemkey=844080
Thursday 27 February 2014 5.37pm
Went to Ticino at 6pm for an early supper with the family. The place was empty apart from two people sat at one table. Asked for a table for three; was told they were fully booked (overheard the manager tell one of the waiters there was 'no way' they could get the food ready by 6.30 (we wanted pizzas, which take how long to cook...?).

Walked out, went to Village East. Walked back past Ticino at 7pm. At least three tables still empty; so they could have easily fit us in - as any other restaurant in the street would have done in that situation. Hope the cooking is better than the extremely amateurish management. At 14 for a pizza (if that's really true!), it had better be...
Thursday 27 February 2014 8.07pm
Happily, it seems I spoke too soon! My wife and I went back to Ticino this evening for dinner (we live very close by, and we really wanted to be able like this place), and had an excellent meal. Service was very hospitable, and the pizza was very good (and it's only the house special pizza that's 14; the rest are normal restaurant pizza prices). And I'm sure PJ Harvey was sitting at a table nearby... We'll definitely be going back. Very glad to see they're finding their feet.
Friday 7 March 2014 1.01pm
I've been twice to Ticino, once for breakfast and once for dinner and the service was appalling. You can't be surprised when the restaurant manager used to be the manager of the Bermondsey Square Hotel's restaurant.
Monday 10 March 2014 4.17pm
We went to Tcino last Tuesday night and had some really lovely food of antipasti and pizzas. All delicious, pizzas were better than Amisha imo. The service was great. The manager, who used to be at Bermondsey Square, was polite, helpful and friendly. Will definitely be going back - great addition to the area
Wednesday 16 April 2014 4.05pm
Ticino's licensing hearing is next week:
http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/mgAi.aspx?id=32521

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 16 April 2014 5.50pm
Franco Manca serves up the best pizza ( which is also organic for anyone who gives a stuff ) for anywhere between 6 - 6.95 and if cooked properly in their handbuilt artisan oven the sourdough crust comes seared and is utterly delicious. They will also put a jug of filtered water on your table for free. For me they reinvented the wheel when it came to pizza in London. Out of the window went anywhere else - 14 @ Ticino, are you kidding me ? Thats the same prices the mugs at Dominos and Pizza hut pay.
Sunday 20 April 2014 9.44pm
I had franca manca on tcr a few weeks back. Couldnt see what the fuss was about. Btw i mightily recommend th roof top cafe for brunh & dinner by the shard. Exceptional addition to the hood!!
Monday 21 April 2014 2.41pm
Julia7239 what rooftop cafe is that ?
Tuesday 22 April 2014 9.57am
I imagine it's: http://www.theexchange.so/rooftop

Never been myself, but someone recommended it to me the other day.

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions