London SE1 community website

Street lights in Rockingham Street / Arch Street alleyway

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Tuesday 7 October 2014 5.52am
Hi
Yep, Mickybar you beat me to it, they were on for about 2 days I think, off again by Thursday!
N
Wednesday 8 October 2014 7.21pm
Dear all,

Have spoken to the council and L&Q recently. The council attended and confirmed that their lights are working, and sent me a photo.

L&Q have responded tonight with this:

---

Thank you for your email.

Yes we do know the root of the problem; there are in-ground lights in the redundant flower beds which short out when they get wet. This is causing the street lamps to short out.

We have raised an order to remove these in-ground lights so that we can effect a permanent repair to the street lamps.

We are just awaiting a quote from the contractor to go ahead with the job.

---

Please do let me know if this is not done soon, as I will follow up again. Apologies that the lights are still off on these dark nights - hopefully we will get it sorted soon.

Karl Eastham
Chaucer Labour Councillor.
Wednesday 8 October 2014 9.08pm
karleastham wrote:
Dear all,
Have spoken to the council and L&Q recently. The council attended and confirmed that their lights are working, and sent me a photo

--

I think perhaps they sent you an old photo. I've just double checked out my windows and can confirm that no lights are on in the alley.
Wednesday 8 October 2014 10.32pm
Just a thought, but why don't they at least cover the in ground lights as a temporary measure, until they sort it? Can't be difficult.
Thursday 9 October 2014 2.22pm
Hi everyone,

I'm a student journalist looking to cover this story.

I went to the alley today and saw three men urinating there in the space of half an hour (in broad daylight!) so I understand why you feel so annoyed.

I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me a quick quote with how they feel about going down the alley at night and the apparent inaction of L&Q?

It is unlikely to be published anywhere as I'm only a student but any help would be much appreciated.

Please feel free to contact me on [email protected]

Best

James
Friday 10 October 2014 12.49pm
stitch wrote:
karleastham wrote:
Dear all,
Have spoken to the council and L&Q recently. The council attended and confirmed that their lights are working, and sent me a photo

--

I think perhaps they sent you an old photo. I've just double checked out my windows and can confirm that no lights are on in the alley.

True, even the council lights are not working. That seems more like vandalism, I can see on the corner between the alleyway and Arch Street that electric wires, coming out from the pipes, are broken.
Wednesday 29 October 2014 10.02am
Lights are on, finally! Hope it's the end of this neverending story
Saturday 1 November 2014 8.46am
Hi everyone,

Pleased to hear this is sorted, please do email my council address if they go off again.

Karl Eastham
Labour Councillor
Tuesday 4 November 2014 3.08pm
I have been speaking to the Safer Neighbourhood Team about the people urinating here. Last Friday, Saturday and Sunday I witnessed men queuing up to urinate here.
I think that we need to take a lateral view here as enforcement of the Local Authority Act powers is unlikely to solve the problem.
I suggest that we look at a public urinal for the area. This along with asking local businesses to adopt a scheme whereby they allow members of the public to use their facilities, may have more impact here.
What do people think?
Wednesday 5 November 2014 9.14am
Pavel,
I agree with you. There is no way to prevent people to use the alleyway as a toilet, especially at night (but not only at night). At that point, it would be good to place a couple of chemical toilets, and also cover the useless flower beds.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions