London SE1 community website

Street lights in Rockingham Street / Arch Street alleyway

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Monday 10 November 2014 12.05am
mickybar wrote:
Pavel,
I agree with you. There is no way to prevent people to use the alleyway as a toilet, especially at night (but not only at night). At that point, it would be good to place a couple of chemical toilets, and also cover the useless flower beds.

The flower beds are due to be paved over later this month according to LandQ. They've been promising this for a while though so hopefully this time they'll deliver!

I agree a urinal would be an ugly yet useful addition to the alley. I've never seen a single person being fined for urinating. If they put one PC down the alley on a weekend night they could probably pay for half the shift on fines raised!
Monday 10 November 2014 5.54am
A police officer would have to arrest each person caught and then be able to persuade a detective sergeant that it is in the public interest to put the offender in front of a magistrate in order for a fine to be levied. This process takes too long. Council officials have fining powers regarding urinating in the street but it must be council property (i.e. Not owned by national rail).
I am worried that the paving will just stop any soak away and the smell become unbearable. I have spoken to the Chaucer Safer Neighbourhood Team about this issue and they are taking a look at what might be done.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions