London SE1 community website

Breakfast Club - Southwark Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Thursday 14 August 2014 6.34pm
I went there today around 11am .. no queue .. great first impression, warm, buzzing place in what before was an anonymous dead spot .. was expecting great food too but was sadly disappointed .. coffee tasted too bitter or burnt .. eggs hollandais were not soft or runny enough, sauce was ok but muffin was weird: dense and hard .. "home fries" were sort of black-looking and either overcooked or under-seasoned .. i will go back to try the pancakes but right now it looks like a triumph of style over substance.
Monday 29 September 2014 10.10am
Went there for a second time, had vegetarian breakfast with pancakes and coffee .. wow, just terribly, terribly bland .. the pancakes were so tasteless that I almost left the second one .. coffee once again was so-so and not that big a cup and of course no free refills .. this place is another triumph of style over substance .. and you pay handsomely for the "style" .. when I lived in US years ago I went frequently to diners .. all had a pretty uniform style which was functional, not trying to be "ironic" or trendy .. but the food was tasty and the price was low .. a world away from the expensive silliness of a breakfast "club" in today's london.
Monday 29 September 2014 11.31am
Went here a few weeks ago for breakfast. I had the avocado, bacon and poached egg on toast which was good. A friend had the pancakes and found them very dry - he left half of them.

So I think the menu is probably hit and miss, but you're right about style over substance!
Monday 29 September 2014 11.51am
queues were enormous on sunday, it's good, but not THAT (waiting for at least an hour) good. ridiculous really. NO WHERE near was a breakfast to be had. c'mon se1-ers, can we have another breakfast place please. not frilly and fancy, not keen on the caf' - somewhere inbetween?
Monday 29 September 2014 12.25pm
Bring back Harpers!
Monday 29 September 2014 1.47pm
Schnake, there really are some great alternatives not far away... The Table, also on Southwark Street does a fantastic breakfast (not cheap mind, but neither is Breakfast Club) and Albion at Neo Bankside does a very solid brunch - not sure about normal breakfast...
Monday 29 September 2014 3.27pm
Terry's on Great Suffolk St for the real deal. Ok, not in the immediate area but work up an appetite seeking out the authenti, though I see its prices are creeping upward as the area moves on.
Sunday 12 October 2014 10.33pm
I decided to see what all the fuss was about with The Breakfast Club on Saturday yesterday. I was highly disappointed. Coffee was awful & the Bacon Roll was dry. The don't take the 'Buzz Card'. I won't be going there again.
Monday 13 October 2014 10.05am
The queue at 11:15 yesterday (Sunday) Unbelievable! I wouldn't queue for lunch or dinner anywhere so Breakfast a definite no, especially as I had read this forum prior...

Life's too short live it!!!

D x
Monday 13 October 2014 12.15pm
From reading the menu, I just don't get it. Ordinary food, astronomical prices, and surely breakfast is the one meal that everyone can cook for themselves?

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions