London SE1 community website

Homes & Pub to be knocked down on Blackfriars Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 15 of 18
Sunday 13 April 2014 4.56pm
If you live in North Southwark this is a worrying time, with ghastly developments springing up all around us based on greed rather than need. There are an increasing number of articles in the press questioning the wisdom of what is happening, with no clear plan, but just a rush to bulldoze, displace residents, and "intensify" for profit.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/apr/13/boris-johnson-proper-debate-london-skyline
Sunday 13 April 2014 7.09pm
JazzyQ wrote:
If you live in North Southwark this is a worrying time, with ghastly developments springing up all around us

Which ones are ghastly, and why?
Sunday 13 April 2014 7.21pm
turtmcfly wrote:
JazzyQ wrote:
If you live in North Southwark this is a worrying time, with ghastly developments springing up all around us

Which ones are ghastly, and why?

yes a bit of a generalisation there. not all housing developments are "ghastly". there have been some excellent construction projects in an around borough/bankside/london bridge in the last decade or so and the area has benefited from a huge influx of cash. the redevelopment of london Bridge station is only going to accelerate change for the better. the challenge is to manage this development to ensure all residents and business owners gain rather than lose in the long run. the most worrying trend is the purchase of properties by absentee (usually Asian, and more specifically Chinese) investors. these owners cannot be bothered with renting them out and prefer to leave them empty. This is the problem.
Sunday 13 April 2014 11.06pm
Well,I did say "ghastly developments" not specifically housing developments.
Just have a look at the one on Blackfriars Road and Burrell Street and tell me that this is not ghastly. An ugly brown box stuck on to the side of a glass and steel monstrosity.Even the construction workers who are building it hate it.
The Lipstick building/Strata has been voted one of the ugliest buildings in the world. Can't say what it looks like inside though.

The ghastliest aspect though,I agree,boroughpaul, is that they remain empty whilst people need homes to actually live in.
Monday 14 April 2014 8.52am
JazzyQ wrote:
Well,I did say "ghastly developments" not specifically housing developments.
Just have a look at the one on Blackfriars Road and Burrell Street and tell me that this is not ghastly. An ugly brown box stuck on to the side of a glass and steel monstrosity.Even the construction workers who are building it hate it.
The Lipstick building/Strata has been voted one of the ugliest buildings in the world. Can't say what it looks like inside though.

The ghastliest aspect though,I agree,boroughpaul, is that they remain empty whilst people need homes to actually live in.

Ugly or not, 240 Blackfriars definitely is not a residential development. If it's left empty (and it won't be) it won't be on purpose. Were any homes (or pubs) knocked down to make way for it? If not, I can't see what relevance it has to this thread.

And as for Strata... it is not 'springing up'. It sprung nearly seven years ago. It is not empty. 25% of it is affordable.

What have either of these two buildings got to do with your final sentence, or indeed this thread?
Monday 14 April 2014 8.56am
boroughpaul wrote:
.. the purchase of properties by absentee (usually Asian, and more specifically Chinese) investors

Where are you getting this information from?
Monday 14 April 2014 9.30am
turtmcfly wrote:
boroughpaul wrote:
.. the purchase of properties by absentee (usually Asian, and more specifically Chinese) investors

most media outlets, Evening Standard property supplement etc

developers websites who advertise property sales in Asia (KL, Singapore, HKG)

people posting on threads in this very forum etc etc
Monday 14 April 2014 9.42am
To clarify some points raised here.
The brown box on the side of the development on the corner of Blackfriars Road and Burrell Street is residential.

The term "affordable" is misleading, as we have discussed many times on this forum.

The relevance to the thread is obvious. Our homes were threatened with demolition, and we first read about this on SE1. In finding out more about our situation, we have all learned much more about what is happening more widely in the borough, and in the city where although we appear to have a shortage of homes, there are plenty being built which stand empty or are out of the price range of most Londoners. The brown boxes start at 600k
Monday 14 April 2014 10.41am
boroughpaul wrote:
turtmcfly wrote:
boroughpaul wrote:

most media outlets, Evening Standard property supplement etc

developers websites who advertise property sales in Asia (KL, Singapore, HKG)

people posting on threads in this very forum etc etc

Looking at those in reverse order...

1. Is there any 'expert comment' from people posting on threads in this forum, or is it just them linking/quoting articles from your first source? No problem with that of course, but you can't count such reposting as a separate source.

2. Properties are indeed advertised in Asia, and bought by Asians. My question was about your indicated prevalence of Asian (and prevalence within this group of Chinese) people who leave their properties empty. Do the developers websites including any numbers regarding this, let alone numbers split by Chinese/non-Chinese buyers? If not, they are not a valid source to back up your claim.

3. I have seen articles about volumes of foreign buyers, with detailed statistics. I have seen articles claiming new flats are being left empty, but not any with statistics, although I'm sure there are pieces full of guesstimates out there. What I doubt is that there are any articles breaking down absentee landlords by nationality, which if I'm right would also negate 'media outlets' as a source you can lean on.
Monday 14 April 2014 10.49am
of course they are not left empty - they are predominantly bought for a rental return so will be rented out. Howeever they are empty whilst being built so maybe there lies the confusion!

this is certainly so in Southwark, maybe only Mayfair being the exeption where they are bought as 3rd homes etc.
Current: 15 of 18

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions