London SE1 community website

Homes & Pub to be knocked down on Blackfriars Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 10 of 18
Wednesday 12 March 2014 2.47pm
[quote turtmcfly][quote boroughonian]To think it unfair that people should be turfed from their homes is a perfectly reasonable position, especially if you live in one of them.[/quote]

Don't go all macro on me sunshine. Re-read the 'mini-thread within a thread' that is the three posts (James'/Denis'/Mines'). Please don't confuse attitude with content.[/quot

Well don't go all Stephen Fry then.
Thursday 13 March 2014 7.35am
Boris at Mipim is declared "painful viewing" by Dave Hill in his Guardian blog. I watched the presentation online. Here it is

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/davehillblog/2014/mar/12/boris-johnson-londoners-first-for-new-homes
Sunday 16 March 2014 4.45pm
Residents from QH went along to a Just Space Community Conference on Saturday, keen to find out more about Boris' London Plan, and how this will affect many Londoners. They heard about how many feel "out of the loop". "Opportunity Areas" have nothing to do with what life in the area is already like, and developers and councillors are just not listening to us, even when we are so called "consulted", the resulting data that is collected is ignored. The opportunities, it seems, are not opportunities for working Londoners, but for the developers and their chums whose processes are not always "transparent". Areas are "handed over", "emptied out". "Greed Not Need" sums it up.
Monday 17 March 2014 11.32am
Depressing.

There was some comment early on in the thread about whether or not Southwark's own Housing blocks were affected.

Just in case anyone is not aware of it, Southwark's own online mapping resource helpfully shows most blocks and housing estates. It's not 100% accurate, there are some omissions, but it's very handy, and it's possible to compare Planning Policy maps with the Borough's own resource.

There is also an open spaces, parks tick box etc.

You will find it at http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200212/egovernment/1370/southwark_maps/1

And here is a pic (of the Blackfriars Road area)to show how to select "Housing Estates" with the tick box: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawkstonetra/13216202653/
Monday 17 March 2014 7.04pm
denis loretto wrote:
What sort of chilling comment is this from the Officer Responses in the 350 page document - ...
So our homes are not regarded any more as "a main town centre use"? Is this what we elected this Council for? Is it the agreed will of both the Labour administration and the (mainly Lib Dem) opposition?

See NPPF policy and guidance updated recently, e.g. ensuring the vitality of town centres guidance

Residential housing is a town centre use which is why other AAP's in Southwark have proposal sites in a town centre boundary with required uses including residential use (Class C3)and student homes.

Southwark Council's Planning Policy Officers probably have one too many down the pub on occasions.

Unfortunately, there is no Planning Inspector to help them with this SPD. And because the NPPF overrides this SDP guidance I expect they don't feel much need to do much about it. If the applications come forward with residential on them then there's nothing to stop the Planning Committee referring to NPPF, and because the Green Belt has been tightened up now I expect brown field will have to deliver more homes. See Inside House 17/03/2014
Tuesday 18 March 2014 9.27am
I wonder who the planning officers are drinking with, certainly not local residents.
Tuesday 18 March 2014 10.44am
Drinking with the devil, perhaps?
Thursday 20 March 2014 12.05pm
QH residents met with the landlord (LQ group) and the landowners (Southwark Charities) and local councillors Adele Morris and David Noakes to discuss the future of the site. As readers will know QH residents have been very distressed by the news that their homes were going to be demolished. They first heard of this on SE1 in January.
Reassurance was given, and residents were told that their views would be listened to. No firm plans have been made yet, though conversations have taken place.
QH residents will be part of a steering group to keep abreast of developments, and will be seeking guarantees about the future of their homes and tenancy agreements.
Friday 21 March 2014 4.50pm
Residents at QH have been under some strain of late, and in need of something to cheer them up and make them laugh again.
This movie did the trick for me. I was crying with laughter. What have we come to in North Southwark?

http://www.oneblackfriars.co.uk/index.cfm?articleID=184
Sunday 23 March 2014 9.40am
Jazzy Q - it would have made me laugh if it hadn't made me cry!

Compare the "exclusive" One Blackfriars residents' viewing lounge with the description of the one that is being built especially for local residents to hire at 50/30 per hour http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/DocsOnline/Documents/239335_1.pdf , with a "kitchenette with a dishwasher, a fridge with an icebox and a small oven for warming food" and which has its own separate lift so the two sets of residents never have to meet. This, incidentally, was counted as the equivalent financial contribution to the community of 5.5m

Cllr Peter John argued for this on our behalf (although which residents' had requested it I never found out) and clearly thought it was a more valuable resource than 5.5m of affordable housing so lets hope we all get our money's worth when it is finally built.....
Current: 10 of 18

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions