London SE1 community website

Homes & Pub to be knocked down on Blackfriars Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 11 of 18
Sunday 23 March 2014 12.46pm
Well, Cllr Adele Morris the only facility that has been overlooked is a fumigation chamber for the locals to go through before entering Number One.

BTW anyone read The Ragged-Trousered Philanthropists by Robert Tressell?

I was telling a colleague about what is happening in North Southwark, and she reminded me of it.
Tuesday 25 March 2014 8.23pm
I am sorry to hear of the death of Ted Bowman, and thank you SE1 for posting the interview of him on You Tube in 1983.
I came to live here in 1977, and remember how it used to look back then. I loved hearing him speak of taking issue with the planning policies of the day, questioning development for office use and instead taking into account the needs of local people and how developing the area might benefit them in terms of housing, industrial jobs, open space and shopping facilities.
The fight continues.
Tuesday 25 March 2014 11.14pm
here's a fantastic response from a (current or former, not sure) councillor in haringey about our elected representatives going to mipim:
@Claire Kober tells the Haringey Independent she is only doing what thousands of local people said was their priority.
Of course! Silly me. And I've been a Tottenham councillor for nearly sixteen years. How on earth could I have completely forgotten what thousands of local people have also told me?
Even today as I walked up Tottenham High Road to my dentist, at least two hundred people stopped me to say the same thing. Insisting how much they want twenty storey tower-blocks all over Tottenham and especially in their own local streets.
"My sister and her kids live in a tower-block in Walford", one local parent told me. "They're so happy on the 13th floor. They love the exercise they get when the lifts break down."
"Please Cllr Stanton", said a local trader who lives above his shop. "We can’t can’t wait to have this estate and our shops knocked down. Our dream is to move to a tower-block between the railway line and a main road".
Several of my neighbours had seen the story about the yacht in Cannes and were delighted. "It's exactly what we said to Claire Kober when she popped round for tea and a chat", they explained. "Make friends with the developers - we told Claire - "Let them take you on a trip to Cannes. Wine and dine you. What a shame Claire herself couldn’t go. Maybe next time?”
”Lunch on a yacht in the Med?” hundreds of people said to me this this morning. “Sure. We hope you councillors insist these generous sponsors pay for a free hotel and free plane fares as well. Free lunch, free breakfast , free everything“.
Freebies for councillors and staff. Bought and paid for. That's what politicians are all about.” They all said in unison with wide smiles. Enthusiastically shaking my hand and slapping me on the back with a stacks of fifty pound notes.
“Cllr Stanton” one resident shouted as I went into my dentist’s building, “be sure to let those developers know that they are our dear friends. And that Tottenham is for up for grabs at bargain prices. We’re like a pound shop with 50% off. Give it away if necessary. Hand over the borough to developers and landlords with complete freedom to build whatever and wherever they want. As high as they like. As crowded as they like. People crammed into tiny little hutches. That’s what we all love. And to make as much money as they want. That's why we voted Labour."
"We told that nice Cllr Alan Strickland that we want regeneration. And what’s regeneration if it isn't knocking down huge chunks of Tottenham, to build towerblocks and make it look like the centre of every-town everywhere?"
"Moving us lot out, of course. Because we know we're not good enough for the new Koberville and Stricklandham, That needs lots of posher shiny new people to live in the shiny new buildings."
(names of councillors/developments perfectly replaceable)
original article is here: http://www.haringeyindependent.co.uk/news/11072268.display/?ref=twtrec
Tuesday 25 March 2014 11.17pm
also, if separate entrancies and separate lifts aren't discrimination, i really don't know what is.

allegedly, it's all about 'reducing costs for the residents in affordable housing'.
Wednesday 26 March 2014 3.23pm
Nope. It is nasty class based, wealth based prejudice.
When I went to South Africa to work in 1997 there were still some signs saying "No Blacks" left over from apartheid.
The signs here might as well read "No poor people" as this is what they mean.
It is an inequality we need to address, and it is the most stubborn stain on our culture to remove.
Wednesday 26 March 2014 4.51pm
We look upon the USA as the guiding light of the free market, but they have very strict controls on housing. Here is what a colleague from the USA said in response to hearing about our situation in North Southwark.

"In the US usually a re-investment with tax credits in a down-turned area requires residency and whole list of other requirements in an attempt to ensure that the building brings cash to the local economy. I'd never even imagined a scenario as you describe."

We never imagined it either.
Wednesday 26 March 2014 10.02pm
“glittering towers of exclusivity and luxury living, out of the reach of the average Londoners and unsuitable to the needs of many households”.

Exactly what many of us have been saying about the new developments in North Southwark. Neo Bankside, One Blackfriars....

This quote came from a 62-page report, Housing London: A Mid-Rise Solution,and was launched today by Prince Charles at his Foundation for Building Community’s latest project.

Must get a copy. Maybe Prince Charles can save Quadrant House.
Thursday 27 March 2014 10.59am
Conclusion of the report quoted in my post above is that
"Mid-rise buildings of between five and eight storeys make ecological sense, too, as they are more adaptable than high-rise, easier to build out of natural materials, are easier to repair and still work for people when the lift is broken or there is a power cut.

"On the building side, mid-rise buildings also allow a greater diversity of developers and builders as the initial outlays required by high-rise buildings make it the business of relatively few.

"For these reasons, I am greatly encouraged by the report's central recommendation that we should consider mid-rise as one of the key solutions to London's necessary expansion."

Quadrant House is eight storeys high. Looks like we are coming back into fashion. Be interested to hear what the greedy developers of the "glittering towers" have to say in response.
Thursday 27 March 2014 12.58pm
Here is the address for those who want to read the full report

www.housinglondon.org
Friday 28 March 2014 3.02pm
Councillor John: "Both existing and new residents around Blackfriars Road will benefit not only from the opportunities that are arising in the area with more jobs and employment, and the SPD will also ensure that the pressure for residential development is balanced with the need for places for leisure and business and a pleasant environment for people to live in and enjoy."

Apart from the fact that existing residents can't possibly benefit from redevelopment if they've already been forced to move, does he think that no one in and around Blackfriars Road has a job already?
Current: 11 of 18

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions