London SE1 community website

Homes & Pub to be knocked down on Blackfriars Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 13 of 18
Sunday 30 March 2014 12.45pm
The anti tall buildings lobby seem to want to return London to some kind of 17th or 19th century golden age . But there has to be a recognition that this city has little available land and the only way to supply the demand is by building skywards. While not all the massive towers planned will actually be built and true, some are less architecturally praiseworthy than others, the sight of cranes across the skyline is an indicator of economic activity and after the recession we have just had that cannot be a bad thing.
Sunday 30 March 2014 12.58pm
turtmcfly wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
Does seem an odd thing to say, especially from someone that's come to live in the now achingly fashionable North Southwark.

Given that I'm obviously playing the role of The Man in this particular sub-thread I presume that's aimed at me, even though you haven't used my original quote and you've used an 'odd' amount of JazzyQ's post if it is me you're effectively quoting.

a) the fashionable comment was echoing JazzyQ's previous post where he described Quadrant House as exactly that (I assume tongue in cheek, as was my comment). Why is my use of the phrase any odder than JazzyQ's?
b) North Southwark wasn't achingly fashionable when I moved here. As I said in my post, that was only ten years ago, so I'm still wearing my (N)SE1 nappy.

Perhaps you might have a little respect for those in their SE1 rocking chairs then.
Sunday 30 March 2014 5.12pm
boroughonian wrote:
Perhaps you might have a little respect for those in their SE1 rocking chairs then.

I was being facetious Dad. A decade's long enough to have an opinion about where you live. I have not just moved into the area, as giddily funny as it is of thebunhouse to intimate I have. I presume the point when you, Thebunhouse and your friend think I have been here long enough is the point where I've lost the ability to respond to a half-cogent argument and think having my (newly) long-held convictions challenged is disrespectful.

On that specific point... I picked up on one sub-thread from here; JazzyQ's support for Prince Charles' architectural predilections, and the subsequent massive loss of public finance that would result should, say, One Blackfriars be built to his blueprint. Enough money to build a couple of hospitals. Loss of c. 100 affordable homes etc. Nothing disrespectful in there.

I got a back;

a) showing a hitherto unseen coy side to JazzyQ, a post displaying a bumpkin like familiarity with the concept of 'counting' and offering a chunk of question-dodging chaff by going on about a subject which my post never mentioned (i.e. his/her home).

b) an asinine truism from a genius physicist, about 'counting' not always being about 'counting'. I don't why. I got it the first time.

c) yet another snidey aside about being 'welcome' (yeah, right) to the glittering (yawn, yawn, bloody yawn) tower I live in, along with tacit permission to live near Jazzy 'Methuselah' Q.

So, a snidey disingenuous kiss-off. A patronising quote. Refusal to engage with (or it would seem even read) my post. What is this respect you speak of?
Monday 31 March 2014 9.20am
In the Telegraph this morning there is a suggestion that "councillors who vote on planning decisions are given a basic training to ensure that new developments are sympathetic to their surroundings"

Here is the link

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10733204/Planning-champions-for-every-area-of-country-to-fight-unsightly-developments.html
Monday 31 March 2014 11.58am
turtmcfly wrote:
boroughonian wrote:

I was being facetious Dad. A decade's long enough to have an opinion about where you live. I have not just moved into the area, as giddily funny as it is of thebunhouse to intimate I have. I presume the point when you, Thebunhouse and your friend think I have been here long enough is the point where I've lost the ability to respond to a half-cogent argument and think having my (newly) long-held convictions challenged is disrespectful.

On that specific point... I picked up on one sub-thread from here; JazzyQ's support for Prince Charles' architectural predilections, and the subsequent massive loss of public finance that would result should, say, One Blackfriars be built to his blueprint. Enough money to build a couple of hospitals. Loss of c. 100 affordable homes etc. Nothing disrespectful in there.

I got a back;

a) showing a hitherto unseen coy side to JazzyQ, a post displaying a bumpkin like familiarity with the concept of 'counting' and offering a chunk of question-dodging chaff by going on about a subject which my post never mentioned (i.e. his/her home).

b) an asinine truism from a genius physicist, about 'counting' not always being about 'counting'. I don't why. I got it the first time.

c) yet another snidey aside about being 'welcome' (yeah, right) to the glittering (yawn, yawn, bloody yawn) tower I live in, along with tacit permission to live near Jazzy 'Methuselah' Q.

So, a snidey disingenuous kiss-off. A patronising quote. Refusal to engage with (or it would seem even read) my post. What is this respect you speak of?

So was I.

To be honest I think your right, if you've lived here a month it's now your home, end of.

JazzyQ is faced with the possibility of being shipped out of the area which is his/her home, I have sympathy with that position, i'd hate it, I think JQ also realises that it's not just about Quadrant house and that others will be under threat even if it's yet to be proposed.

JQ is not my friend, we have never met.

As for "snidey disingenuous" you can dress it up anyway you want, your "achingly fashionable" dig was exactly that, a snidey dig at someone under pressure and those that feel for them.
Monday 31 March 2014 6.59pm
"JazzyQ is faced with the possibility of being shipped out of the area which is his/her home, I have sympathy with that position, i'd hate it, I think JQ also realises that it's not just about Quadrant house and that others will be under threat even if it's yet to be proposed"

Yes, Boroughonian it is horrible, and has robbed me of my peace of mind since we at QH found out about it on SE1 website. Thank you for being able to feel for us. There are many people throughout London facing a similar threat, and we have been meeting them and talking to them, and trying to figure out what is happening and what to do about it.
Thursday 3 April 2014 1.48pm
More on the London skyline here. Noticing out of my kitchen window that some mid rise brick clad buildings are going up which blend in well with the surrounding area, so it can be done if the will is there.

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/mar/29/london-skyline-lack-of-consultation
Thursday 3 April 2014 4.14pm
JazzyQ wrote:
More on the London skyline here. Noticing out of my kitchen window that some mid rise brick clad buildings are going up which blend in well with the surrounding area, so it can be done if the will is there.
http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2014/mar/29/london-skyline-lack-of-consultation

I've always felt something was off in the UK's oversight of its financial services industry (given how important the sector is to London). But to see what's going on now in property development as pointed out by this article, that's just pure insanity... and shows disregard for the general welfare of the populace and long-term health of the city.
Thursday 3 April 2014 5.13pm
RobB wrote:
JazzyQ wrote:

I've always felt something was off in the UK's oversight of its financial services industry (given how important the sector is to London). But to see what's going on now in property development as pointed out by this article, that's just pure insanity... and shows disregard for the general welfare of the populace and long-term health of the city.

I realized I should probably clarify what I was referring to when I said this was insanity.

I meant the fact that there is no coordination / oversight / grand plan for all of this (as pointed out by the article). That is mid blowing in itself. (Of the cities that are considered great today, have any expanded to such an extent in such a short time without some kind of vision, coordination and appropriate restrictions?)

Extending that a little further, this lack of coordination can give the impression of a Wild West situation where all those involved are just in a rush to grab their piece of the pie while the getting is good. Hence my comparison to financial services sector oversight.

Hope that makes sense.
Thursday 3 April 2014 10.11pm
Funny you should say this, RobB.
On 20th feb I posted this comment on another thread,

"Now it feels like the wild west gold rush is upon us, and the pistoleros at Southwark council are selling their residents down the river"

Yeee Haaaa
Current: 13 of 18

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions