London SE1 community website

Homes & Pub to be knocked down on Blackfriars Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 18
Saturday 25 January 2014 11.10am
Luke's concerns are well expressed and very much shared by me. The deliberate policy seems to be - shift any residential accommodation that could possibly be described as affordable to the southern fringes of Southwark and confine "town centre" locations to a combination of offices and high level accommodation. By high level I mean both high prices and higher and higher buildings. What better recipe could there be for producing dead locations - vast towers "bestriding this narrow world like a colossus and we petty men [and women] must walk under their huge legs" - that is such of us who are still around.

Apropos my earlier post when I said "So our homes are not regarded any more as "a main town centre use"? Is this what we elected this Council for? Is it the agreed will of both the Labour administration and the (mainly Lib Dem) opposition?",I see in a Lib Dem leaflet being delivered in Chaucer Ward "In Southwark we're campaigning to stop Labour selling off council homes and to make sure that new developments create mixed communities with more homes that local people can afford" This seems to at least partly answer my question. What does the ruling Council administration have to say in their defence?
Saturday 25 January 2014 3.42pm
Southwark Council is holding a Cabinet meeting on Tuesday 28th January at 4pm,
to agree the draft Blackfriars Road Supplementary Planning Document which, if agreed in its current form, will give a green light to uncontrolled redevelopment in our area of Blackfriars Road and North Southwark.

Our local councillors are strongly opposing the document. They are trying to get as many local people as possible to turn up to the Cabinet meeting on Tuesday to let Southwark Council know the strength of feeling in the community about the never ending redevelopment, most of which is hotels and offices, with no residential property which is even remotely affordable to the majority of local residents and no social housing at all.

The address is GLA 160 Tooley Street, London SE1 Tower Bridge Road end of Tooley Street
Saturday 25 January 2014 3.49pm
Floodplain - I don't oppose change in the area. I've lived in North Southwark for 35 years and have seen enormous changes, the overwhelming majority of which have been very much for the better. What I do oppose is the loss of housing which is remotely affordable and these plans to include the demolition of housing - Quadrant house (residential), Edward Edwards (residential), Prince William (residential units over the pub). In all between 60 and 70 homes. No one has yet had the courtesy to contact any of the residents of this properties about the proposed plans. Not LBS, London & Quadrant HT, or the developers. Shameful.
Saturday 25 January 2014 10.02pm
Luke / Suziq / Merlin Rouge -

Take a look at the bigger picture - let's try not to be too parochial.

A new report has been issued by respected consultants Arup stating that London's population grows by 2,000 every eight days.

We therefore have to build more housing, do we not?

We must also welcome all of them to London, and make sure they all have somewhere to live.

I hope all of you would agree.

Otherwise, you would have to close the doors to people wanting to join us in London.

Would you want to do that?

If we are to provide capacity for all the people who want to live here, then we need to look at more innovative and intensive ways to use land - and towers are one way of housing more people in the borough who are going to be coming in to live here.
Saturday 25 January 2014 11.53pm
Floodplain, how does this story fit in with your 'welcome all to London and build homes for them' narrative?

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/print/Newham-single-mothers-protest-gentrification-olympic-inspire-a-generation

""9 billion on the Olympics and they're telling us and our babies we have to go live in Hastings," lamented Adora Chilaisha, 19, as the hokey cokey proceeded in the background. Adora was born and raised in East Ham, just a few miles from the Olympic Stadium, and is one of 29 young single mums and mums-to-be facing eviction from the Focus E15 "foyer" nearby a temporary social housing block with skills and childcare provision on hand. They had arrived at the offices of the East Thames housing association who served their eviction notices to stage a protest a kids' party in one of their (considerably nicer) show homes."
Sunday 26 January 2014 12.21pm
Merlin Rouge wrote:
Floodplain, how does this story fit in with your 'welcome all to London and build homes for them' narrative?
http://www.vice.com/en_uk/print/Newham-single-mothers-protest-gentrification-olympic-inspire-a-generation

""9 billion on the Olympics and they're telling us and our babies we have to go live in Hastings," lamented Adora Chilaisha, 19, as the hokey cokey proceeded in the background. Adora was born and raised in East Ham, just a few miles from the Olympic Stadium, and is one of 29 young single mums and mums-to-be facing eviction from the Focus E15 "foyer" nearby a temporary social housing block with skills and childcare provision on hand. They had arrived at the offices of the East Thames housing association who served their eviction notices to stage a protest a kids' party in one of their (considerably nicer) show homes."

Having read a number of Floodplains posts over time I would say that fits into his/her vision of how central |London should be,it also shows that this 2000 a week figure is unsustainable.
Is it me or was Floodplain trying to insinuate that to be against an extra 2000 people every eight days might be for sinister reasons lol,gotta laugh,the same person that wont be disagreeing with African kids being shipped out of London,or was the suggestion that it would be bad for our economy to deny these people entry,yea right,this is all assuming that the people that buy these propertie are actually going to live in them.
"Let's look at the bigger picture"

yes lets,they are going to knock down perfectly good (in fact better than good) housing to build housing for a different class of person,that's it!
Sunday 26 January 2014 7.42pm
Boroughonian wrote:

'the same person that wont be disagreeing with African kids being shipped out of London'

I've never written or even thought that, Boroughonian.

You've definitely overstepped the forum rules there.

2,000 people coming into London every week is just a fact, it's not my opinion. If you think that that is un-workable, then don't blame me.

It's one of the reasons why London property is so expensive and why there is development pressure.

Rather than proposing to deny people's right of residency in the UK, just because of their income level, why not look at imaginative and positive ways to respond to the rising demand, and make central London land-use work better for everyone -both long-term residents and new incomers?
Sunday 26 January 2014 10.20pm
Floodplain wrote:
Boroughonian wrote: Rather than proposing to deny people's right of residency in the UK, just because of their income level, why not look at imaginative and positive ways to respond to the rising demand, and make central London land-use work better for everyone -both long-term residents and new incomers?

People are everyday not allowed into the UK because of their income level but mainly because they not so well off and from Africa, South American, India and the Middle East. Even to settle here as a foreign parent of an English child is almost impossible unless the UK parent is earning more than most people on average earn and regardless of whether they own their home or are council tenants.

It plain that long term residents are not the ones who new luxury housing and even most affordable housing in London is being built for. Housing policy such as what we are living with now in no way embraces your desire for 'imaginative and positive ways' to house all.
Monday 27 January 2014 6.39pm
We must also welcome all of them to London, and make sure they all have somewhere to live.

I hope all of you would agree.

Otherwise, you would have to close the doors to people wanting to join us in London.

Would you want to do that?

OK, so I say yes to that.What does that make me then? Just wondering.
Monday 27 January 2014 7.25pm
Rather than proposing to deny people's right of residency in the UK, just because of their income level, why not look at imaginative and positive ways to respond to the rising demand, and make central London land-use work better for everyone -both long-term residents and new incomers?

I have not anywhere mentioned peoples incomes and I never blamed you for 2000 people,you embrace them,I don't,you think it's fair enough that people living here should move to make way for them,I don't.,I wonder what affect this will have on the City long after i'm gone,you don't.

BTW Floodplain,are you still desiring a "diverse" community?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 18

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions