London SE1 community website

Homes & Pub to be knocked down on Blackfriars Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 18
Wednesday 29 January 2014 10.59pm
How exactly do you know the owners of those expensive cars don't live in privately owned flats, bought under the right to buy scheme?
Wednesday 29 January 2014 11.07pm
The point of public housing is that it is quality built homes for all regardless of income. A good principle for future housing. The recent trend to denigrate such a principle by talking of people being too wealthy to live in public housing is part the wider ideological attack on the principle of providing public housing. If mixed communities are so beneficial to local areas (hence the spurious argument why estates are demolished to Balance the mix of local population), lets keep public housing for all with doctors living next door to cleaners, with the unemployed living next door to teachers.

My previous neighbours on my block have been actors, security guards, DJ's, council officers and cleaners.
Wednesday 29 January 2014 11.18pm
We're in danger of going over the same ideological ground that has been covered in lots of other threads.

Please could we keep this thread a bit more closely focussed on the specific site on Blackfriars Road described in the opening posts?

Feel free to start other thread(s) to discuss wider issues - or use one of the other more general threads from recent months discussing housing.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 29 January 2014 11.41pm
Your right James,my apologies i'm terrible for it,but since I read your post after i've cut (to paste) to form a reply to Floodplain please allow me this...

"One of the reforms which will be coming from the coalition government will be placing a limit on earnings for anyone already in Council Housing - don't tell me you would disagree with such a long-overdue reform?"

Seeing as what it will mean will be, buy it or get out, then yes I disagree with it.
Wednesday 12 February 2014 11.47am
This is due to be discussed at the Southbank Forum meeting on Thursday 13th Feb (180 Stamford Street) and again at the BARD meeting on 20th Feb (Rowland Hill House - next to the Lord Nelson .

Interested parties might like to consider attending if possible. My feeling is that this applies to anyone in the area around Blackfriars Road, because if the proposed redevelopment goes ahead, the property developers will no doubt be eyeing up Falcon Point, Nelson Square, Blackfriars Road Peabody Estate, Styles House, Nicholson Street estate - the list goes on.
Wednesday 12 February 2014 12.21pm
Agreed Suzi and it's something that I feel a little guilty about RE: The Heygate,we should all feel threatened.
In fact,I now feel threatened by the very word "regen".

I'll be there,any idea of the time of the meeting?
Wednesday 12 February 2014 12.26pm
Oooops - good point! Both meetings start at 7pm.
Wednesday 12 February 2014 12.56pm
Ta Suzi,just to add..

"eyeing up Falcon Point, Nelson Square, Blackfriars Road Peabody Estate, Styles House, Nicholson Street estate - the list goes on."

That's what I find myself doing nowadays,looking at council and trust blocks in the eyes of developers,Devon Mansions anybody?
Wednesday 12 February 2014 1.46pm
There is also the LibDems calling in the Blackfriars Road SPD decision as well, here is the article from this website:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/7395

But in a way the SPD process also revealed the extent which to developers are looking to rebuild this area. This issue with Quadrant House and the others would not probably have been known in ages if they hadn't posted their comments in support of the SPD!

The Overview and scrutiny committee meeting agenda is on the Southwark website and residents can attend the meeting too.

http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=308&MId=4774&Ver=4
Wednesday 12 February 2014 2.09pm
This article came to mind considering much of what is happening in the borough:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/feb/10/city-google-go-away-oakland-california

It's not so much the problem of 'in-comers' but the narrowly defined view of their 'needs' that is partially the issue at stake here. Cafe culture has been done to death on many of London's streets and it's time something more imaginative was considered that didn't rely on the 'invest returns' way of thinking.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 18

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions