London SE1 community website

Homes & Pub to be knocked down on Blackfriars Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 18
Sunday 16 February 2014 4.32pm
JazzyQ - you might like to read this earlier thread.
Sunday 16 February 2014 7.35pm
Just reading something on the Civitas website I thought might be of interest in the light of the threats to demolish Quadrant House and build offices and "high end" flats on the site. QH is my home and has been for many years.

Finding Shelter, Civitas Report

"London property is now seen for many in terms of its investment potential, as a safe haven for cash in an unstable global economic climate, rather than something that should be meeting a basic social need for the capitalís residents.
For too many it is providing financial shelter rather than human shelter"
Green and Bentley February 2014
Saturday 1 March 2014 11.13am
I've come up with a cunning plan to save Quadrant House, Edward Edwards House etc! One of the reasons given for redevelopment is that the current buildings are 'of no architectural merit'. If the only reason for the proposed redevelopment is aesthetic and monetary gain isn't the underlying reason (as if), why not re-clad QH, 230 Blackfriars Road, The Prince William Henry and Edward Edwards House. The latter could also undergo an interior refurbishment to make it fit for purpose and also have another two floors built on top to increase capacity. Sorted. I can see the re-cladding and addition of floors to the old Kings Reach Tower from my flat, so we know this can be done on very tall buildings. I would imagine that low rise buildings must be logistically less complicated, but perhaps not.

Back to the question of architectural merit - can anyone explain why the unattractive brown brick box on the corner of Burrell Street, next to 240 Blackfriars, is considered to have this but none of the surrounding buildings do? Could it possibly be something to do with the fact that these flats are considered luxury accommodation and a one-bedroom flat is priced at 600k? Surely not?!!
Saturday 1 March 2014 2.01pm
The "Unattractive brown brick box" is not homes, as we know them, but is a money box built for investors to stash cash they cannot place safely in their own troubled countries.
Saturday 1 March 2014 5.11pm
Just reading in the Londonist an article by Rachel Holdsworth saying that 61% of new London homes are bought by investors.
She quotes other figures too so have a look for yourself.
This explains why when I look out at Neo Bankside in the evening there are only ever a handful of lights on.Hardly anyone lives there. More money boxes here, I reckon. We at Quadrant House are facing the bulldozers as the greedy developers and their council chums are economically cleansing North Southwark of its working class residents to make way for more empty money boxes.
Just who are Southwark council working for?
Or should I say What?
Sunday 2 March 2014 12.18pm
JazzyQ-

Your point is spot on and this must surely be a major issue in May's Council elections.
Monday 3 March 2014 7.01pm
We are not alone, and the more I read and try to find out about what is going on in the barmy bonkers world of property developing and speculating on the one thing that no one can do without, namely a HOME, the more I come across people in similar situations to ours at Quadrant House.
People are organising themselves to do something about it too. Cheers you up no end. Have a look at this link. See you there

http://www.cfgn.org.uk/2014/02/mipim-london-not-for-sale/
Tuesday 4 March 2014 4.54pm
Here is something that goes some way to explaining what is happening all around us. As if we had not guessed.
Our politicians could be doing something about this, but instead are busy cosying up to the very people who are buying us out of our homes and our city, seduced by money and greed. I wish I could wake up and find that this is all a very bad dream.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/13/opinion/sunday/londons-great-exodus.html?pagewanted=1
Wednesday 5 March 2014 9.16am
Spot on article. Everyone who lives in London who doesn't own their own home should be worried - very worried.
Wednesday 5 March 2014 10.15am
For another spot on paper on this topic have a look at Darren Johnson's "Crumbs for Londoners"

Politicians elected to represent us in Southwark seem to spend their time swanning about at property fairs in Cannes,spending our money and not their own, and appearing on TV talking about "exciting developments". It is very exciting to be threatened with eviction and to have your home threatened with demolition, I can tell you. My stomach has not stopped turning over every time I think about it.

London is Not For Sale, and I will be at City Hall on Thursday afternoon March 6th at 2.15 pm to let Boris know.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 18

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions