London SE1 community website

C10 passengers revolt

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Thursday 6 February 2014 10.55am
Wonderful!

The spirit of civil disobedience arrives!

This might be why Boris orders those water cannons, isn't it? People finally had enough, and he knows it AND he's scared.

Big thank you to the passengers who spoke up and revolted!!! Chapeau!!!
Thursday 6 February 2014 11.07am
Zoe wrote:
The queues for the machines are massive, there are things you can't do or are hard to do on them and often they are faulty. It's alright saying use the machines but the reality of the machines are very different. I recall my inability to buy the weekly pass I wanted while staying with a friend and having to wait for the ticket office to open. When I asked he told me that I should be able to buy the ticket on a machine but it was a glitch that was just never fixed.
I also would not use a station that isn't staffed, which would really cut my ability to travel.

I find myself speaking to the staff much more often than I intend to, and I'm fairly tech savvy. The underinvestment in the technology will mean we just have a worse service......and prices will still go up 5% every year.

Which machines have massive queues Zoe? I don't use the tube dailly, but in my experience at London Bridge, the ticket office queue is normally longer and slower moving than those at the machines. At other non-mainline stations there's barely any queues anywhere, machines or ticket offices. This suggests to me that there's little need for a ticket office at non-mainline stations, and you'd be better off reassigning that member of staff to be 'on the floor' as it were, helping people with problems as they arise, either at machines or barriers, or giving out general information on journeys.

As per my example with supermarkets, if you close the ticket office, open more machines, and redeploy ticket office staff to cover several machines, you have a much more efficient service. Obviously machines would need to be updated to allow for all of the ticketing options that yo can currently only get at the office.
Thursday 6 February 2014 1.23pm
Thanks for the heartening story, Lionel.

This morning, I needed to get to Paddington.

That shouldn't be a problem - take the 148 to the North side of Hyde Park and a short walk. However, I left in peak time and the 148s were not picking up by the time they got to Morley College.

So, how about a 12 to Oxford Circus and then a 159 or 23 to Paddington? I know, assuming I could get on, I could have taken the 159 all the way there from further up Westminster Bridge Road, but the 12s had seats and I reasoned that there'd be plenty of space heading out from Oxford Circus.

So, I got to Oxford Circus to find that the 159s were being terminated short there and the 23s only going as far as Edgware Road (not a huge distance short of Paddington, admittedly, but there were plenty of people being turned off there who didn't know how to continue their journeys).

If I were suspiciously-minded, I'd think that TfL/the private bus operators are stopping buses short to make everyone's journeys harder than they need be to try to undermine public support for the TSSA/RMT dispute rather than trying to run a public service to the best extent they are able.
Thursday 6 February 2014 1.38pm
Why not walk? I thought the act of walking was supposed to somehow magically validate the purpose of what you were going to do when you got there, and simultaneously make you more worthy than people who'd managed to effect the same outcome by more convenient means.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 6 February 2014 2.10pm
I wonder if Rambling Phil is on to something.

I've seen many buses over the past 2 days terminating early. A 172 (also Abellio) terminated at Waterloo at 9.30am this morning, beside a long queue of people trying to get the the city. It took the bus I was on and the 4 of 5 in front almost 5 mins to get past it in busy traffic. The No 1's were also changing their destinations to a combination of Waterloo/Holborn instead of continuing into the centre where most people wanted to go.

I've also seen examples of TfL doing little to help.

For example, with the large increase in people trying to get a bus at Waterloo, did they allow longer green signal for the buses to exit the Tennison Way bus stop? Nope - instead there was a huge queue of buses waiting for the 2-at-a-time green signal.

Similarly at St Geaorge's Circus - the bus lane seemed to be on green light for less time than usual, causing a bus queue back down London Rd.
Thursday 6 February 2014 2.37pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Why not walk? I thought the act of walking was supposed to somehow magically validate the purpose of what you were going to do when you got there, and simultaneously make you more worthy than people who'd managed to effect the same outcome by more convenient means.

Normally I would have done, Ivanhoe. However, I'm just recovering from a bout of illness and needed to arrive in the office capable of doing some work.

How are you?
Thursday 6 February 2014 4.25pm
Very well, thanks. Hope your recovery is complete soon.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 6 February 2014 4.42pm
My route from Bricklayers arms to Lower Marsh was awful. Buses were beyond packed yesterday and today. Both 453 and 53 were terminating at the Elephant without any annoncments so I gave up and walked. Got to Westminster Bridge Road and the traffice was almost at a stand still leading up to the roundabout.

Just a normal travelling day, eh?!!!
Thursday 6 February 2014 5.34pm
Rambling Phil wrote:
If I were suspiciously-minded, I'd think that TfL/the private bus operators are stopping buses short to make everyone's journeys harder than they need be to try to undermine public support for the TSSA/RMT dispute rather than trying to run a public service to the best extent they are able.

Wouldn't put it past them.

Re the ticket machines: in my experience, when there is a serious problem with them, the staff "on the floor" more often than not don't seem to have a clue how to fix it, and when the ticket office is closed, you're stuffed. A ticket hall completely devoid of any staff and a row of dead machines paints a dystopian picture.
Friday 7 February 2014 12.05am
Pops wrote:
My route from Bricklayers arms to Lower Marsh was awful. Buses were beyond packed yesterday and today. Both 453 and 53 were terminating at the Elephant without any annoncments so I gave up and walked. Got to Westminster Bridge Road and the traffice was almost at a stand still leading up to the roundabout.
Just a normal travelling day, eh?!!!

Although the rain was threatening to come down some time soon, I ambled off today on my daily perambulation to stay reasonably fit, (and keep to a 34 inch waist.)
Taking the last but two of the king size umbrellas that I had accumulated from the back of my cab over thirty odd years, I made my way along the river from King Stairs Gardens SE16 to Hays Galleria.
There I did a casual about face and started back along Tooley Street.
Crossing TBR it started to spit a bit so I raised mon parapluie and kept on going.
Almost at Dockhead a horn sounded next to me, I glanced over and it was an old friend in his black cab, "Fancy a freebie Tom?" he said.
As he crept along Jamaica road I said, "You must be earning bundles with this strike, eh Dan?" "You're kidding ain't you," he replied, "I've been to have the cab serviced, I've given up working on these days, the back of the cab gets soaked in tears with all the miserable s.o.b's bemoaning their fate, and bitching about the traffic, I even had a guy yesterday ask why the meter had just gone up 20p even though we were stationary in Whitehall!"
Oh I remember it well, and not too fondly.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions