London SE1 community website

C10 passengers revolt

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Friday 7 February 2014 10.48pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Tom Pepper wrote:
Kory wrote:
I am sorry for your travel troubles Tom Pepper, but I am writing to admire- your use of the word 'parapluie' which I expect is the first on this forum. Exceptional - and no I am not being sarky. Respect.

Vous êtes très aimable Kory, je parle souvent le français, c'était la seule leçon intéressante à mon école, ma femme est surpris quand nous sommes à La République.
Dit-elle, "je pensais que tout était un chauffeur de taxi, pas un linguiste!"

LOL! (or: rire à haute voix according to google translate) )

Actually the French use mdr for lol, it's an acronym for mort de rire, (die of laughter.)
Saturday 8 February 2014 1.11pm
Frustrating as it is, there is usually a good reason for stopping a bus short. All the buses are monitored by satellite so control knows exactly where they are. There was obviously some bunching of buses going on that evening, so the driver was asked to stop short and turn around to even out the service. It might have been better for the passengers on board for the bus to continue, but the result is that the service overall continues to be badly spaced.
Saturday 8 February 2014 2.16pm
Tom Pepper - I think on my scrape by on O level French (C) You are saying your wife or the Republic of France (?) want you to become a Taxi Driver - still love your use of 'parapluie'.
Saturday 8 February 2014 2.52pm
Kory wrote:
Tom Pepper - I think on my scrape by on O level French (C) You are saying your wife or the Republic of France (?) want you to become a Taxi Driver - still love your use of 'parapluie'.

What I was trying to say Kory, was, when we are in La République, (of France), my wife is always surprised that I can converse with the locals.
She used to say, "I thought that you were a cab driver, not a linguist."

p.s. as you like the word, this is for you;
Vous aurez besoin d'un parapluie aujourd'hui!

(Actually she used to say, "a two bob cab driver.")
Saturday 8 February 2014 8.22pm
Ah thanks Tom Pepper J'oubliee me Parapliue dans l' auto bus 21

Sorry that was a hideous attempt - and I deserve un Frapez avec La Poele

Phew glad that is cleared up
Actually there may be some money in being a two bob taxi driver, if you follow L' Autobus C10
Sunday 9 February 2014 12.38am
Kory wrote:
Ah thanks Tom Pepper J'oubliee me Parapliue dans l' auto bus 21
Sorry that was a hideous attempt - and I deserve un Frapez avec La Poele

Phew glad that is cleared up
Actually there may be some money in being a two bob taxi driver, if you follow L' Autobus C10

Kory, last chance, or it will be detention!
J'ai laissé mon parapluie sur l'autobus 21, je suis étourdie!
Actually, I had great fun sometimes when I was still driving a black cab.
I picked up a 40 something couple once in Fulham Road, she was English, he was French.
They wanted a restaurant in Ebury St. Belgravia.
All the way there she was haranguing him in French, apparently he kept promising to leave his wife for her, but was dragging his feet.
On arrival at the restaurant he got out and left her to pay me, it was £7.80.
I said to her, "Sept, quatre vingts, s'il vous plaît."
Her face was a picture, "You speak French?" she said.
"Bien sûr je parle français," I said, "tout le monde parle français en Angleterre."
Sunday 9 February 2014 11.02am
Ha Ha
You never know who is listening.
Sunday 23 February 2014 4.54pm
Val Shawcross AM has tabled a question to the Mayor based on this thread:

Quote:
C10 bus
Question No: 2014/1214
Valerie Shawcross
Poor performance on the C10 bus route has been a subject of much discussion on the SE1 website forum recently, including an incident whereby frustrated passengers refused to get off a C10 which had terminated early at Elephant and Castle in the evening rush hour, instead of continuing through Rotherhithe. I appreciate that TfL are making efforts to improve the service in the morning but it seems a further more large scale review is required. Please ask TfL to instigate this.

The written answer will be published in just over a week's time.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 24 February 2014 9.58am
williamn wrote:
Frustrating as it is, there is usually a good reason for stopping a bus short. All the buses are monitored by satellite so control knows exactly where they are. There was obviously some bunching of buses going on that evening, so the driver was asked to stop short and turn around to even out the service. It might have been better for the passengers on board for the bus to continue, but the result is that the service overall continues to be badly spaced.

Not the C10 but there was definitely no bunching the other night when over a period of 30 minutes 3 No.1 buses that are supposed to go to Canada Water terminated at E&C and Bricklayers Arms x2. There were no problems further down the route, I checked. A number of the bus services in SE1 have definitely become less reliable of late, with route curtailment, huge overcrowding and long intervals between buses.
Monday 24 February 2014 3.11pm
Many 168's have also been terminating early at Bricklayers Arms recently.

I don't understand it. You can go by tube from Tottenham Ct Rd to Elephant where the No 1 does seem to run. There is no other way of going from Elephant to Grange Rd, Southwark Park Rd etc, but that's the bit the No 1 chooses not to serve.

Ditto the 168. Hampstead to Elephant has the Northern Line - the Old Kent Rd has no tube but again, that's the bit the bus company chooses to miss out.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions