London SE1 community website

Billboards on the flyover

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Wednesday 26 February 2014 10.53am
Hi Penelope

I've checked my emails and have not received anything from you about this - so I guess you may have contacted my two ward colleagues as I have only been cc'd into a "to whom it may concern" type email to the planners from someone with a different name.

The applications wrongly list all three as being in Chaucer Ward (one is actually in East Walworth).

I am concerned about this also. Residents at Metro Central Heights have been disturbed by overly bright and colour changing billboards on the Elephant northern roundabout and I can see the same thing happening at Bricklayers if this goes ahead.

Feel free to DM me or you can email me at [email protected] if you want us to go along and object.

Tim

Cllr Tim McNally
LibDem Member for Chaucer Ward
07903 967 809 / 020 7525 7157
Friday 28 February 2014 11.12pm
Tim
I was aware that one of the proposed billboards is in East Walworth which is why I attempted to contact two of the East Walworth councillors. Looking at the Bricklayers Arms post it appears that they will be objecting too, which is most reassuring. Thanks for your support.
Friday 28 February 2014 11.43pm
What the hell are they playing at - the area had only just started to become human after the ravages of the 1960s. The place is full of history and some how had started to acquire a certain serenity despite the noise and traffic fumes. One struggles to understand the motives of those involved. No doubt a fast buck will be made and I cannot understand the silence of the council members who seem entirely disinterested. I was looking forward to the day that the fly over would be demolished as it would be too expensive to repair and the area would become even more sedate, but there seems to be another agenda for reasons I just do not understand.
Monday 3 March 2014 9.38am
Well said White Rat ! It was as you say starting to become serene. Rather than seeing the flyover at the very least smartened up ( maybe with wall covering folliage like that wall in West London I think it is has which would be a vast improvement to help cover the remaining dated pebble dashing) I am begining to wonder if this is the most "serene" we will see it again . Maybe the relandscaping was done for the backdrop of future projects rather than the final product in itself of creating a simple green space it has now become after all these decades.
Friday 14 March 2014 12.08pm
Amusingly TfL is objecting to the billboards because they think they are the highway authority for the land inquestion:

http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/DocsOnline/Documents/349090_1.pdf

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 25 March 2014 10.47am
Hi
The applications are still being assessed so there is not an officer recommendation at this stage. If the applications are not called in delegated decisions may be made next week. To make sure that a decision is made with some local scrutiny we need the applications to be called in can someone assist please.
Penelope
Tuesday 25 March 2014 3.20pm
Good luck Bricklayers Arms!

When last year's planning application was seeking feedback for the new LED ad hoardings on the Elephant's north roundabout (installed a few weeks ago) I was one of a few to write and suggest they turn it down given the obvious light pollution directly into adjacent homes, including bedrooms in Metro Central Heights and to a lesser extent also Perronet House. The adjacent listed buildings of Faraday Memorial and MCH were even referred to in the planning application as a potential concern by the council... but the lure of more revenue and institutional disregard for residents at this junction when redevelopment is being considered (e.g. exclusion of these two blocks from the Strategic Stakeholder Forum of all other adjacent properties) meant of course the application succeeded.

Our failure is only made all the more frustrating by TfL's woefully manipulative artistic impressions of the roundabout's regeneration which have, for the purposes of propaganda, artfully edited out these blots on the landscape to disguise the junction's inappropriateness to be shared with al fresco recreation space and yet will fell one of the big London plane trees* that currently nicely obscures the hoarding to the west!

Should the application succeed at Bricklayers Arms - and surely Southwark's planning committee would love it to go through - the ad hoardings will no doubt also be edited out of any visualisation of the area.

Remember this proposal... this is what Bricklayers Arms could have instead?
http://www.newlondonlandscape.org/project/200/green-arteries

*More details about tree chopping here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUhcHE9pO3c
Tuesday 1 April 2014 9.12am
All three advertisement consent applications have been withdrawn.

Whether they will put in revised applications remains to be seen.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 1 April 2014 10.15am
James, I hope it was "People Power" !
Tuesday 1 April 2014 6.15pm
White Rat wrote:
What the hell are they playing at - the area had only just started to become human after the ravages of the 1960s. The place is full of history and some how had started to acquire a certain serenity despite the noise and traffic fumes. One struggles to understand the motives of those involved. No doubt a fast buck will be made and I cannot understand the silence of the council members who seem entirely disinterested. I was looking forward to the day that the fly over would be demolished as it would be too expensive to repair and the area would become even more sedate, but there seems to be another agenda for reasons I just do not understand.

Yea cheers for that.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions