London SE1 community website

Billboards on the flyover

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6
Tuesday 1 April 2014 10.06pm
Phew
- that was close!
Thursday 9 July 2015 4.58pm
They never give up!
Thursday 9 July 2015 9.10pm
Has anyone seen any signs or notices about this. I have not spotted anything in the area recently.
Friday 10 July 2015 6.55am
The applications are still at the "Received - not yet validated" stage so the notices won't have been put up yet.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 10 July 2015 2.36pm
The answer to the question we've all been asking: How can you make an area already defiled by a noisy, filthy, dangerous urban motorway just that little bit worse?
Friday 10 July 2015 2.46pm
I live right by the Flyover although just on the OKR side by Lidl and this proposal is horrendous ! I have a horrible feeling this time it will be sucessful. With all the work that has gone into the Bricklayers to "Soften" it's appearance of late with the subways being filled etc it has been going in the right direction. I thought that at some point they would think to "soften" the actual flyover itself ( wishful thinking) even if they just put some tiles on it or better, one of those walls which are covered in plants. This will just make it look stark and a permanent eyesore. Does anyone know if local opinion will have any sway in the Councils final decision ?
Friday 10 July 2015 10.08pm
A few ad hoardings marking the must have moment of the day should perhaps be the least of concerns here given the proposal to monetise the roundabout itself with major redevelopment (a tower in the centre of stunning contemporary condominiums perhaps) that should perhaps give more cause for concern? Or perhaps not. Anyone keen to try and nip this in the bud?: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/8087
Wednesday 22 July 2015 10.05am
There are three applications for large, illuminated billboards to go up at the Bricklayer's Arms Roundabout. If you think this is a bad idea, I would encourage you to email your objection in (to all three of them) before the 8th August, when the consultation period ends. The applications are listed as:

15/AP/2605
15/AP/2606
15/AP/2607

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/485/planning_applications/554/search_for_planning_applications

Already these applications have attracted many objections from local residents for various reasons including:

- the appearance of the area has recently improved and illuminated billboards would be a huge step backward and wipe out all the improvements that locals have fought so hard to establish

- the Bricklayer’s Road roundabout is looked over by many residents and there is no justification to put up huge signs and pollute these residents neighbourhood and lower the appearance of their neighbourhood area

- these would cause a visual distraction to drivers to the roundabout which is frequented by pedestrians, including young children from neighbouring schools like St Saviours which is adjacent to the roundabout

- the signs would likely provide light pollution for local residents including residents of Tower Bridge home for dementia sufferers

- the applicant suggests that ‘modern lines’ of the billboards would soon be a positive addition to the local character of the area - blatantly untrue and presumptuous

I would encourage you to read the rather insultingly-bad cover letter of the applicant who insists that the billboards will enhance the area…
Thursday 20 August 2015 7.38am
I think if rather see a low block of residential dwellings in the middle. What a shame this idea was not shelved permanently . As someone said earlier what about the residents of the tower bridge nursing home? Why not a sponsored flower display instead..spelling out...Welcome to a greedy developers Dream! Now they want to demolish the flyover and replace it with what?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions