London SE1 community website

Update on Blackfriars Road SPD

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Sunday 23 February 2014 6.05pm
Ever since we at Quadrant House heard the news that our homes may be demolished, I have set about finding out all I can about what is going on. This report recommended to me by Hetty on the forum is well worth a read.
Forewarned is forearmed.
The title accurately describes how many of us here are feeling too.

http://www.annaminton.com/Scaring%20The%20Living%20Daylights%20March%2027th%2013.pdf
Sunday 23 February 2014 7.15pm
10,000 or 11,000 new council homes need to be put in the context of the 1,000s of existing council homes lost (1,100 on the heygate alone). https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/demolition_of_council_homes#incoming-465625 and the population growth on top?

i think peter john confirmed/clarified in one of the other threads that the 10,000 new council homes may in fact include housing association ones so rent may be a bit higher.
Sunday 23 February 2014 8.46pm
What I just do not understand is why destroy perfectly good homes and disperse thriving communities before building replacement homes, and additional homes for the projected population growth?
Read Anna Minton's report. It paints a very different picture of the redevelopment at the Elephant than the one in the press.
I think Southwark council has a lot of questions to answer.
We elect these officials to represent us, and listen to us or am I being naive, and do they only operate in their own interests?
Tuesday 25 February 2014 12.41pm
With so much “high end” and totally un “affordable” homes going up all around us, here are a few options for Southwark residents forced out of their warm, dry homes.

1.The “Neo-Dubai” A cardboard box which can be stood on its side for the “high end” look, or topped with a traffic cone if a Shard effect is desired.

2. The “Manhattan” A blanket, placed in a doorway in the boulevard of your choice. Grey only.

2. The “Southwark” A warm, dry body bag. Snug fit with zipper. Black only
Tuesday 25 February 2014 6.54pm
The latest development regarding the 'calling-in' of the Strategic Planning Document [SPD] is a good illustration of the lack of force attached to documents that are classified as 'guidance' rather than 'policy'.

The council appears to have made the significance of this different in status apparent in the course of the current debate. In effect, then, 'guidance' is something susceptible to wider consultation, on the basis of having no independent force, in contrast to policy, decided by members.

As such, the content of the SPD appears to be a red herring, and illustrates the sham nature of much public consultation, which leads to the production of documents that Council members are free to either take account of or disregard as they wish.

It is also depressing, albeit unsurprising, that the view expressed by other commentators on this thread of 'capital inflows' and their value is regarded as being of greater importance to the area than the economic viability of the affordability of either local business or residence, whose vulnerability is regarded as simply a form of latent 'collateral' damage.

Working-class residents of inner London could historically claim a 'heritage' based on duration of residence in a given neighbourhood, one that was diversified and enriched by the influx of new communities of equivalent economic profile. That apparently counts for nothing when compared with the benefits apparently associated with 'capital inflows', which as was the case of the Isle of Dogs/'Docklands' rarely, however, flow towards existing residents.

It is not a semantic coincidence that Londoners talk of 'their manor', since this is as likely in many cases to have the same historical resonance for them as the stately homes of the rich.
Tuesday 25 February 2014 8.23pm
we've been doing an 'audit' of all planning decisions made in 2013, for the whole of borough (and no, nobody made us do it :P)
and some of the findings are really interesting (the articles are called 'the planning points' and there's 9 articles so far, we're looking at type of development by community council area and postcode, how many people respond to those one A4 sheets of council letters 'consulting' them etc)
here's the link to number 1, http://www.peoplesrepublicofsouthwark.co.uk/hold-news/news/3334-the-planning-points

(feel free to comment on any of them on our website, to keep this clear for blackfriars spd stuff?)
Tuesday 25 February 2014 8.38pm
Many thanks for the recent post by pros on the overall planning process - really helpful.
Zoe
Tuesday 25 February 2014 10.15pm
Hi Pros, I'm pretty sure that everything I have seen says the 11,000 properties will be council properties, managed as part of the current housing stock, but on top of that Southwark will develop more, for example private properties used to subsidise the council building costs. Of course whether this is changed in the future is a different matter, but I haven't seen anything that says they will be RSL properties. Do you have the link to the thread as I couldn't find it?
Tuesday 25 February 2014 10.50pm
I seem to remember Mr John replying to a post of mine RE the new builds with "all, that's 100%" being social housing rents.
Tuesday 25 February 2014 11.05pm
managed to find the thread, http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/175587/page=3

in this thread, peter john says 100% council homes, then he agrees that, in reality, they'd have to build lots more new homes, of which the 11,000 would be council homes...i may well have got muddled there. being old does that to you :)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions