London SE1 community website

ANOTHER Tesco?!?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Zoe
Sunday 23 February 2014 3.08pm
It seems such an unsustainable business model, what we don't want is a rash of supermarkets opening, then closing and leaving us worse off than before.

I agree about the Tesco's on great Suffolk street by the way, I too have found it dirty. Once there was a broken jar of jam left all day in an aisle. It's what comes of running stores on self service and one twelve year old.
Sunday 23 February 2014 9.13pm
I agree Tesco gss is not great- I too try as much as possible try to avoid these shops- but I gotton lazy- and because I go to the gym next door - I have gone in. Overcharging has been discussed in another thread but I have been over charged- brace yourself- every time I have been in this store-every time. A lot of this is the till programming- but a lot of it incorrect labelling. The till staff on the whole are very sweet- the manager has been diabolical and even accused me of swapping or stealing his labels-on shelves. I reported him to Tesco head office- got apols and vouchers. No change in store. Also the fresh produce ( so to speak) is so brown sometimes it is fermenting- don't shop in this store I'd say.
Monday 24 February 2014 11.05am
If these supermarkets would locate alongside existing grocery shops (not that many are left in SE1) then they could increase footfall to those and be a win win.

As it is, they set up in frontages with no other food shops.

Given that probably 1/3 - 1/2 of their footfall is people buying a drink or a snack, from open chilled units, you'd think they would have less theft, energy wastage, queueing time and floorspace by using vending machines like in Amsterdam, Tokyo etc. But clearly this is far too innovative!
Tuesday 25 February 2014 2.32pm
63 branches within 2.5 miles of my place. Frightening thought!
Sunday 18 May 2014 9.35am
Can now confirm that jw is correct - this store will indeed be a Tesco Express.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Sunday 18 May 2014 1.06pm
I cycled back from Brixton last week and passed hardly any small supermarkets and on a recent visit to Kent I couldn't find anywhere to buy bagged salad. I felt like I was in a foreign country. When I finally came across a Tesco I was quite disturbed to see there was no Sainsburys over the road, it quite unsettled me, like I was something important. Apparently, outside of SE1 sainsburys and Tesco's are not tied at the hip. How weird is that.
Sunday 18 May 2014 2.02pm
Wll I benefit by this decision of Tesco to set up on Sainbury's front step ? I think not
Prices wont be less, variety of goods wont improve much, although there might be a greater selection of sandwiches and meal deals for office worlers and travellers.

Will I shop there? No. Because I live between Sainsbury's on The Cut and the future Tesco on The Cut.

Waitrose wherefore art thou?

The news story is incorrect in stating that the Waterloo branch of Sainsbury's was their first store in SE1, they used to have their main retail store on Stamford Street and two factories/warehouse behind that store and a smokehose on Great Suffolk Street
Sunday 18 May 2014 2.11pm
Dont forget that 10 years ago there were no big supermarkets north of the Elephant.So it must be good for local people.
Sunday 18 May 2014 2.32pm
dave tlr wrote:
Dont forget that 10 years ago there were no big supermarkets north of the Elephant.So it must be good for local people.

There still aren't, Dave. Just lots of little shops selling the same small range of goods (mostly snacks and food that goes 'ping') with the same opening hours.
Sunday 18 May 2014 6.07pm
dave tlr wrote:

10 years ago I did most of my shopping at the OKR or Surrey Quays Tesco and I still do.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions