London SE1 community website

ANOTHER Tesco?!?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5
Thursday 22 May 2014 4.34pm
I see the Evans cycls next door is shut. Is Tescos going to use that too? That would be one big store.
Thursday 22 May 2014 10.57pm
The plan is for another restaurant or two to created by reorganising the current William Hill and Evans units, similar to the partly subterranean setup next door at GBK and Wahaca.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 29 May 2014 9.27pm
Tesco may well be following Starbucks ' strategy of opening up so many outlets that independent competitors are forced out of business, then shutting "loss-making" outlets. Before it shut, staff at the Costcutter on The Cut told me that Tesco had massively (i.e. 5x) outbid them for the site's lease.

Being so large, Tesco can afford to operate outlets at a loss in order to reduce competition in the long term.

Whether such a tactic is legal is a very grey area, of course. In theory, the Competition & Markets Authority should be keeping a very close eye on Tesco and monitoring any activities that may indicate an abuse of its dominant position in the market. Deliberately operating at a loss in order to drive competitors out of the market should be judged to be anti-competitive behaviour. However, the CMA's predecessor (the Competition Commission) seemed to find any excuse to avoid confronting the supermarkets, and there's been no indication so far that the CMA will do anything different.

Political pressure may be more fruitful. The CMA's parent department is run by a LibDem minister (Vince Cable) and we have a LibDem MP (Simon Hughes). Maybe, in an election year, if they both receive enough letters, Simon might have a quiet word with Vince, and Vince might be persuaded to make a few speeches about the dangers of unrestrained capitalism, ask a few rhetorical questions about whether we want to continue to allowing oligopolies to drive SMEs out of business, and make some suggestions to the CMA's leadership that they should adopt a more proactive stance when investigating potential abuses of market dominance.
Thursday 29 May 2014 11.06pm
Dodger Interesting post. Not sure Cable will last the Lib Dem meltdown, but the economics are interesting. The footfall in these shops is good, for the retailer, ( I think the M&S in Waterloo has the highest profitability per sq ft/mtr of any of their stores)

And they have higher prices than a superstore and no special offers. So, it all looks mad to us, but good to the big companies (which your pension is invested in)

I think I want to get off
Zoe
Friday 30 May 2014 12.44pm
The Tesco on The Cut has suddenly been revealed. Weird to see it suddenly there when the hoarding is removed. It's jarring on me when I go past, but we'll all get used to it of course.
Wednesday 4 June 2014 8.29pm
Expected item in living area.

I do my very best to avoid these imperialistic sods, but it's out of control. However, we've got to a point where there are sometimes not much else for choice. They've pretty much colonised the whole of the UK's towns and cities. Why do you need 10 or 11 mini supermarkets in one small area such as Southwark?

I have a friend who owns a dry cleaners. A Morrison's opened up around the corner from him, and they open a dry cleaner within, obviously under cutting him. There is nothing that ordinary people can do to compete against these corporate monsters. But the councils, town planners and all representative political parties clearly see it as appropriate to allow this to continue, everywhere.
Thursday 5 June 2014 12.06am
poopoo wrote:
Expected item in living area.
I do my very best to avoid these imperialistic sods, but it's out of control. However, we've got to a point where there are sometimes not much else for choice. They've pretty much colonised the whole of the UK's towns and cities. Why do you need 10 or 11 mini supermarkets in one small area such as Southwark?

I have a friend who owns a dry cleaners. A Morrison's opened up around the corner from him, and they open a dry cleaner within, obviously under cutting him. There is nothing that ordinary people can do to compete against these corporate monsters. But the councils, town planners and all representative political parties clearly see it as appropriate to allow this to continue, everywhere.

That's what free market economic capitalism is all about.

I urge all those reading this to put this into their pipe and smoke it, and to be sure to remember when it is time for the next General Elections.
Thursday 5 June 2014 12.28am
Ironically, free market capitalism would generally consider 'perfect competition' (or as near to it as possible) to be desirable. This over-concentration of economic power is antithetical to what drives the efficiency of markets. High barriers to entry and relatively few players creates an impenetrable oligopoly (control by the few)... far less efficient than hundreds of smaller suppliers.

Not that I'd ever expect the 'free market' dogmatists who comprise much of the conservative party to understand. I use the term 'free market' advisedly, because almost any economist will understand the term very differently to the 'yay big business, the poor can go and do one' dogmatists.

There's a reason, for example, that we have the Competition Commission; it exists to prevent mergers and market concentration which are viewed as anti-competitive.
Thursday 5 June 2014 7.57am
Just walking into Tesco's on The Cut filled me with gloom and indicated where Tesco's priorities are. A wall of, almost inpenetrable, sandwiches and soft drinks faces you.

I intended using the 3 discount voucher for a spend of 10, I managed to spend 3.50.

The promised free hessian bags had all gone so I told one of the two cashiers that it was back to Sainsburys for me.

The aisles are too narrow, one person trying to find something on a shelf virtually blocks the aisle and the second exit( by the cashiers' tills) was deliberately blocked.

Not a store I will be visiting in a hurry especially during the lunch hour and when the college re-opens.
Thursday 5 June 2014 7.23pm
Bunhouse, bang on. I went this pm out of curiosity. I quite like Tescos generally. But this is set up solely for the lunchtime trade. I wanted some salad. No tomatoes and a tiny shelf give over to veg,

I too traipsed to Sainsburys. This is a five day a week shop.

No wonder they have just posted poor results
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 3 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions