London SE1 community website

ANOTHER Tesco?!?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
Sunday 8 June 2014 8.10pm
I am glad there is a shop again there, just across the road (yes I know there are several within 300m but still :D and somehow that Local Express below the Travelodge in Union Street does not count). As a nightowl am a bit annoyed it is not 24h as the old one was ever since I have lived here. And weirdly this Tesco opens until midnight but is only licensed to sell alcohol until 11. Found out as was just looking at the selection in the fridges and was told a bit too brusquely by a staff member it was not available.

Yes, the selection is a bit heavy on the snack side, but I guess the Express brand dictates much of the sortiment. At least I can now get a meal from this shop, the old Costcutters had absolutely nothing to make a meal from apart from tinned or frozen stuff.

I think the Tesco layout is just about the same as the old shop had with three aisles? But it still feels roomier somehow, but I see it can be a bit tight between the shelves.

Somebody mentioned discount coupons, may I ask where did you get those? Been wondering why us as their nearest neighbours have not been sent anything. I have had post from Tesco before about openings much further away, like London Bridge or Borough Road but nothing about this one. Makes you wonder why we bother giving them our details for their database by using the clubcard, if they won't even bother writing to you that they have just opened next door? Or maybe the letter has been lost by Royal Mail, as a friend suggested ;)

Edited to say that most of the staff I have been served by there have been absolutely friendly and tried very hard to make me feel welcome, apart from that one grumpy one telling me off about the alcohol.
Sunday 8 June 2014 11.40pm
Nelson - I feel your pain; Premier was always my go to for reasonably priced post 11pm (or, frankly before then) hard booze. Waterloo is missing a really decent spirits or wine shop. Whiskey Exchange is brilliant but it shuts early(ish) and is a bit of a trek. 24 hour Sainsbury's on Waterloo Road has abysmal spirits available, but is alright in a pinch if you need late night beers (though I suspect you're already well aware).

I sense a business opportunity, but will have to leave it to those far better funded than me ...
Zoe
Monday 9 June 2014 5.39am
We didn't get anything either Nelson and we're even closer than you. I agree about the lack of 24 hour shops, we have less now the chains have moved in, which wasn't what I expected.

It seems busier than the sainsburys on The Cut, yet the sainsburys didn't seem any less busy. I wonder where all the shoppers come from.
Monday 9 June 2014 8.03am
The discount vouchers were given to me at the door of the shop as I went in, as I said in my earlier post they had run out of giveaway hessian bags with "I love Southwark" on them.
I have since spoken to staff in Sainsburys on The Cut commenting on the lack of customers at the time I visited,at 11.30 a m I was the only customer, and was told that the shop had taken a big hit with the opening of Tesco. Sainsburys believed that the staff from Palaestra etc. were not bothering to walk the extra distance, whilst I believe that to be true I also believe it was down to inquisitiveness of the customers to see what the new shop offered.
It does suprise me that Sainsburys did not run a spoiler on Tesco opening day by matching or exceeding the 3 discount voucher. Sainburys customer footfall does seem to be returning to normal now.
Bea
Thursday 26 June 2014 12.34am
Yes there is a very good way to stop it ...just DONT shop there ...they will soon close down
Thursday 26 June 2014 12.46am
I was talking to some of the staff there. Apparently they're all new, including the manager. It was pretty shambolic, though they seemed like a nice bunch of kids.
Tuesday 25 November 2014 11.13am
Waterloo Road branch now open: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/7979

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 25 November 2014 10.50pm
Tesco Waterloo Road have put in an application to extend their sale of Alcohol to 24 hours. They have already had an application to have an ATM turned down on the basis that the pavement is too narrow and too near a bus stop. 24 sale of Alcohol is not needed in this area and will only increase the number of beggars sitting on the pavement getting enough money to purchase Alcohol.This application is of absolutely no benefit to the residents of Waterloo but only good for those persons leaving licensed premises or street drinkers who are already intoxicated.These people litter our streets with their cans and urinate on our doorsteps.We are now well rid of the 3 premises in Waterloo who had 24 Hour Alcohol licenses and who's patrons caused nothing but nuisance to the residents of Waterloo
Wednesday 26 November 2014 1.35am
Why do we need so many identical, over priced, poor choice supermarket shops in such a small area?

Aside from all the new ones nearer Waterloo and Borough theres a new Sainsburys on Spa Road, another new Tescos applying for planning permission on Elizabeth Street - when they've only just opened one on Jamiaca Road two minutes away. It's ridiculous. And they all sell the same poor range of choice stock at premium prices.

Tesco Jamaica Road is poor value as is Sainsburys Bermondsey Square.
Plus you have to cope with those wretched self service machines while a bunch of employees stand round and chat in the evenings in Sainsburys so I don't really go there any more.

Co-Op Jamaica Road is good value, actually does have a fairly good range of things, and the staff are unfailingly lovely which is a surprise these days to be frank. I also go to the Circle Store and have for many years and will continue to support them.

The only new food shop I would like to see round here is a Waitrose. If we have to pay Waitrose prices (at Tesco Metro and Sainsburys Local anyway) we should at least get Waitrose quality and service.
Wednesday 26 November 2014 10.33am
"Why do we need so many identical, over priced, poor choice supermarket shops in such a small area?"

See the thread re Tesco on Queen Elizabeth Street. Different area, exactly the same problem.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions