London SE1 community website

11,000 new homes over 30 YEARS is nonsense because...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Wednesday 12 March 2014 1.55pm
hhrca wrote:
I do doubt you Peter & Southwark Labour.
National Labour is something I have more respect for - although I do wonder why Ed and Ed et had to advertise Lend Lease the other day, and why the Labour Party could not have advertised itself on TV and in the media by getting some £10 hard hats printed and the jackets. Instead, you all advertise what many - justified or not - take to be a rather greedy, secretive and dodgy bunch.

25/30 Years? Is it 25 or 30?

I think you know that we need 1000+ homes right now just for the homeless households, and the remainder of the 5000+ households in greater need over the 9,000+ others.

What a future Labour Southwark administration can deliver is constrained, as you well know, by whoever holds the purse strings at MOL, Government or wherever. Which is why Southwark Labour should not have made a "commitment" to 11,000 homes over 25 or 30 years. Many of us may not even be alive then anyway to congratulate you.

It's just made up. Clutching at straws. Some of the other achievements being twittered are fair enough, others are not.

You are receiving justified complaints because of the appalling handling of regeneration, planning and housing. And the arrogant defensive responses of those responsible."Commitments" and "promises" are words that mean next to nothing now: you forget about the voluntary introduction of the Economic Duty for example! I don't.

And the commitment Southwark Labour makes must be relative to Southwark being one of the biggest landlords in the Country: we would not expect the Isles of Scilly to build more than Southwark.

Lots of suggestions have been made over many years about sites for housing and approaches to housing - ask the Officers to check their correspondence! I except they will have "lost" it.

Here's a snippet I am putting into a FTT/LVT defence today for one of our leaseholders:

"Merging London County Councils stock with the Councilís in 1980 increased the councilís stock by a third, to 62,000 units."

62,000 units! Now we have a terrible crisis that has been made worse locally by Southwark's approach to it's own assets and land.

It's not so much that Cabinet et al did nothing, it also about how Cabinet et al did what it did since 2010, and what Cabinet is already planning to do going forward. E.g. in Planning Policy.

I expect that political opponents to Southwark Labour will make it hard for you to keep your commitment. Boris has just double time from 10 to 20 years - how does that now affect delivery of the 11,000?

And I am fully aware that Council rents have more than doubled in a decade, while non decent rates have remained high, and that the pledge to keep rent rises in line with inflation for the next four years is another commitment that depends on who wins in 2015. And our rents will rise and rise towards market.

By outcome, we all know Cabinet better now. And we know after four years that change needs to happen sooner or later. Change either within Labour itself or by Southwark Labour being booted out in May 14 or May 18 or whatever.

Edit: and I would add in a grumpy mood as I spend my time helping bullied leaseholders of the Council...

that Southwark Labour's leadership have also distinguished themselves by the friends and supporters that have been lost, and the friends and supporters that they've made over the last 4 years.

Jerry - your ranting reply says it all. You do not believe anyone or anything - period. That is your problem to deal with.

I can't answer for decisions or actions of the Council before 2010 - I can only tell you about what we have done since.

I can say with absolute confidence that in 2010 we made a series of pledges to the voters of Southwark. Whether you like it or not we have kept those pledges - to provide Free Healthy School Meals to all primary school children; to invest £326 million making every council home Warm, Dry and Safe; to double recycling and to make regeneration work for the people of the borough.

We have delivered on those pledges - even in the face of massive government cuts. It's not an issue of debating whether we have delivered those pledges - we have.

In a similar vein we have pledged to build 11,000 new council homes. As I have said before - more than any other council has pledged to build. If pledges were so easy and meaningless why has no other council come anywhere near in demonstrating its commitment to new social housing?

We will keep that pledge.
Wednesday 12 March 2014 2.33pm
Peter, credit to you for answering, but 'commitment' to politicians doesn't mean the same to normal people.

When and where can we expect these 11,000 new homes? The council's website - unless I'm really thick (which is a possibility) makes no mention whatsoever, other than historic press releases.
Wednesday 12 March 2014 2.35pm
"make regeneration work for the people of the borough"

Well that's a fail straight away.
Wednesday 12 March 2014 3.57pm
boroughonian wrote:
"make regeneration work for the people of the borough"
Well that's a fail straight away.

I'm not sure that the 600 people from Southwark who have found work in construction over the past 12 months would agree with you.
Wednesday 12 March 2014 4.00pm
Gavin, you can find details of where some of the first new council homes will be within the Cabinet Agenda papers and report from last October - which is here http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=302&MId=4551&Ver=4
Wednesday 12 March 2014 4.03pm
There are also maps on this website of the first and second sets of sites for new council homes.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 12 March 2014 9.44pm
I think several people have praised the council's plans to build council housing on other threads; it's the timescale that I can't come to terms with. A 30 year plan is stupid. What we need is a plan for this administration, and a plan for the next administration (should labour be successful in the next election). We can then judge them on their achievement, or hold them to task if necessary. I don't know any organisation or government department that sets targets that can't be accredited for 30 years. What we do know is that there are currently plans to build 1000 homes by 2020 and these sites have been (pretty much) identified. That's good, but what is less clear (to me at least) is when and where the next 10,000 are going to be built. Oh, and how much money is currently in the house-building kitty Cllr John?
Thursday 13 March 2014 12.52pm
Peter, your never "rant" of course. Do you?

Credit where it's due. But you are extremely authoritarian to stifle debate, because on some matters your Cabinet mucked up seriously badly.

Mixed success: "invest £326 million making every council home Warm, Dry and Safe"

No denying that a lot of work has been done but your non-decency rates are through the roof and Southwark is not going to hit 100% for the strict decent home standard by the end of WDS.
Major Works is a shambles.
Your administration is responsible for making appointments post 2010 and keeping incompetent staff in place.

Failure: "to make regeneration work for the people of the borough"

What people? The 1000+ homeless households? Or investors and developers? Foreign investors? 9000+ student homes with more to come?

And your group was unwise to make such bold claims ahead of an election. You believe your own hype: so the days are numbered.

This morning I was just updating a stat for Canada Water Area Action Plan. Less of a rant, more a careful reading of draft policy, "your" policy put out for consultation.

And guess what? 17.5% affordable housing at Canada Water looks very likely.

And the plans to infill on housing estates require Southwark to deny estates Local Green Space protection: which is discrimination by tenure, and a disgraceful approach.

You all dumped the Economic Duty, gone without a trace!

Regards

Jerry

How Canada Water will fall to 17.5%
1) Fiona Colley wiped the 35% with "Exceptions to policy " instruction to Officers:
http://www.southwark.gov.uk/downloads/download/2963/Affordable_rent_planning_committee_report
2) The Mayor of London's 3300 target is a minimum, the expectation is to exceed it, and it will be substantially exceeded (we know that already).
3) The DRAFT RCWAAP has a sneaky fixed 875 figure for all forms of "affordable" housing (from the genuine to fake)
4) The Wider AAP Area is expected in DRAFT RCWAAP to produce c.572 homes
5) The Core AAP Area is expected in DRAFT RCWAAP to produce 3432 (up from 2600)
6) The Core and Wider added together is 4004.
7) However, with Harmsworth Quays and changes to density, zones and storeys etc we can expect at lease another 1000 homes (including student homes) - and that's conservative. Taking us to c.5000 homes.
8) 875/5000 = 17.5%
If we factor in 2000 homes, very likely in my view looking at Core density and hectares, it becomes 6000 or 14.5%
So let's hope that the 875 changes to at least 35%. With 35% of 5000 estimated at 1750.

Not another Heygate / Elephant.
Thursday 13 March 2014 4.33pm
PeterJohn wrote:
Jerry - your ranting reply says it all. You do not believe anyone or anything - period. That is your problem to deal with.
i would not say that that is ranting.
i would say it is a series of paragraphs detailing Jerry's thoughts on the matter. it is anecdotal yes, but you should not disregard it on the basis it has a tone that displeases you. that is dismissive and rude.

id hasten to also say for the believing anything or anyone part, that it is pretty damn hard to believe in anyone in power when so many people have been shifted from their homes and been ignored by the people in power. rent and taxes and all that bullpoop have risen so much its getting hard to know how long for some of us how much longer well have a place to live
if youre gonna complain at us for ranting about that, then ...
yeah, then. i cant finish that sentence
Thursday 13 March 2014 5.12pm
rosepetal wrote:
PeterJohn wrote:
i would not say that that is ranting.
i would say it is a series of paragraphs detailing Jerry's thoughts on the matter. it is anecdotal yes, but you should not disregard it on the basis it has a tone that displeases you. that is dismissive and rude.

id hasten to also say for the believing anything or anyone part, that it is pretty damn hard to believe in anyone in power when so many people have been shifted from their homes and been ignored by the people in power. rent and taxes and all that bullpoop have risen so much its getting hard to know how long for some of us how much longer well have a place to live
if youre gonna complain at us for ranting about that, then ...
yeah, then. i cant finish that sentence

you took the words out of my keyboard, rosepetal :)

personally, i'm always perplexed with all the talk of 'believing' which surely is the realm of organised religions?

evidence of what this administration has done in the four years alone is plenty to worry about and certainly leaves no room for 'believing' anything.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions