London SE1 community website

Is Southwark Council moving out Londoners with new luxury housing developments?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 2 of 10
Sunday 23 March 2014 7.20pm
hhrca wrote:

"Southwark's strength is our people. With our immense diversity comes an array of amazing talents and vast depths of untapped potential. Unlocking those talents and realising that potential, with nobody left behind, is what we are about as a council."

http://www.onetheelephant.com/about-us/southwark-council

yikes, so many of us just never understood this. damn
Sunday 23 March 2014 7.33pm
pros wrote:
yikes, so many of us just never understood this. damn

Yes, creepy beyond belief.

The potential to be placed elsewhere. With nobody left behind.

The thing is with the political people we have nowadays, and the stuff they put out, or their chums, it must be read very carefully indeed!
Sunday 23 March 2014 8.45pm
So... Vote them out in May, or vote them back in but the choice is ours . Not quite sure how valid the conspiracy theories are though
Monday 24 March 2014 8.59am
....I'm going to wade in with what could be seen as a breathtakingly naive comment - but here goes. Fiona Colley is a Labour councillor - therefore it would figure that she needs Labour voters in the borough to stay in situ. Everything she seems to do, would appear to encourage either overseas residents, who will have no vote, or uber affluent voters, who, should they decide to vote, are more than likely going to vote Conservative. Have I missed something..? Happy to be corrected if I have.....
Monday 24 March 2014 9.37am
I'll give you a conspiracy theory or more a reality theory.

In MCH years ago St George the landowner stated they wanted to build a new block of flats on our car park. MCH residents appealed and Southwark refused the application.

Sometime later we received a letter stating that on appeal the application had been approved. What had happened inbetween was St George appealed the rejection decision from the council but the letters to MCH residents were never so no one literally knew about this / could register their objection letters /turn up to the meeting.

I phoned and spoke to Fiona Colley about this who was unreservedly apologetic but I ask you - how much money had to change hands for something like this to happen.
Monday 24 March 2014 9.44am
boroughpaul wrote:
So... Vote them out in May, or vote them back in but the choice is ours . Not quite sure how valid the conspiracy theories are though

The Lib Dems might be making lots of political noises now about overseas investors and the making of North Southwark into a rich person's paradise but they began the entire process back in the early 2000's when they changed tack with what Heygate residents had expressed for years - stay as Council tenants in new homes built on Heygate site. Lib Dems ignored that and set in motion years of abuse and disrespect of Heygate tenants and residents. Without the promises of the Heygate site being cleared and opened up to the private housing market, none of the other sites and large towers of expensive flats would have been interested. Lib Dems started it, Labour continued it. Neither parties would have done much different.

With this in mind as someone who desires investment locally that also benefits long term residents, who should I realistically vote for anything to really change? I can't see who is going to make any difference to this.
Monday 24 March 2014 11.31am
Alas Merlin Rouge...you are totally right, but it's too late. The promise of the new buildings being for the Heygate residents fell by the wayside with successive useless Lib Dem councils...and now the Heygate community is dispersed all over England and there's no getting it back again. A shocking tale of social engineering and cynicism from politicians.
Monday 24 March 2014 12.14pm
Agree with Merlin Rouge, no matter who controls the Council the same thing carries on threatening open green spaces on and near our Estates. Sadly we cannot vote out Officers, consultants and developers.

I'm not someone with a detailed knowledge of the Heygate. I just know that some came to live in my Area and Estate.

I was watching all the Heygate vids, great collection at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1yTdlADczSqDS-DsEliI8A

Some vids with Fiona, and viewers can make up their own mind.

This one made me laugh though:

Southwark Council Leader promises 'Honesty and Openness':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbSCIuaLFQ4&list=UU1yTdlADczSqDS-DsEliI8A
Monday 24 March 2014 8.35pm
Heard of the "revolving door" where councillors get jobs with the property developers?
Just a thought.
Monday 24 March 2014 11.43pm
JazzyQ wrote:
Heard of the "revolving door" where councillors get jobs with the property developers?
Just a thought.

Like this?

http://betterelephant.org/blog/2013/04/09/report-uncovers-corruption-at-the-elephant/

I personally wouldn't call it 'corruption'. More so just careerism and how things are these days.

Report has the details anyhow, give or take one or two errors.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 2 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions