London SE1 community website

Bookies' opening restrictions

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5
Wednesday 26 March 2014 8.09pm
The opportunity for independent research into the social impact of gambling was severely constrained by the industry, which previously funded the Responsible Gambling Fund to conduct impartial research.

When the Fund exceeded its brief as lapdog for the industry {that is how the industry, not the organisation, regarded it], it was dissolved, and replaced by the Responsible Gambling Trust, as a suitably compliant and non-controversial alternative.
Wednesday 26 March 2014 8.25pm
Perhaps someone like GA could provide some evidence on this Jim.

Must say, I don't buy it.
Wednesday 26 March 2014 9.23pm
GA don't participate in research, because of anonymity issues. David Lammy, MP, has done a lot to challenge the problem, and bookies, at least in some areas, do seem to be magnets for other criminal activity [street prostitution, public drunkenness, etc].

This isn't to assume that all people experiencing gambling-related harm are on low incomes, but by definition the same amount of expenditure on gambling taken from lower incomes will have a greater negative effect.
Wednesday 26 March 2014 10.16pm
Well actually, as a person that uses bookmakers almost daily, I have seen little to no evidence to back up your claim that they seem to be magnets for "other" (Freudian slip?) criminal activities, perhaps I don't know what to look for, though I think I would notice prostitution in a betting shop.

I won 900+ last year for a 3 stake, it was fun!
Thursday 27 March 2014 12.24am
boroughonian wrote:
Well actually, as a person that uses bookmakers almost daily, I have seen little to no evidence to back up your claim that they seem to be magnets for "other" (Freudian slip?) criminal activities, perhaps I don't know what to look for, though I think I would notice prostitution in a betting shop.
I won 900+ last year for a 3 stake, it was fun!

If you're in there almost daily, how much of those 900 are actual winnings?
Thursday 27 March 2014 8.19am
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
boroughonian wrote:
Have there been any studies on the social impact of these betting shops on "poor" people?

There is an element of preying in the betting industry, isn't there.

Not in my experience. Have you ever been bothered by bookies approaching you on the street, trying to coerce you into a bet?

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 27 March 2014 8.28am
jimfearnley wrote:
This isn't to assume that all people experiencing gambling-related harm are on low incomes, but by definition the same amount of expenditure on gambling taken from lower incomes will have a greater negative effect.
Very weak argument. Replace "gambling" by any other activity that you deem to be non-essential, and the same "logic" applies.

Would you like to ban people on low incomes from buying new clothes, buying non-essential foods, going to the cinema, to a cafe, etc? Should we regulate the presence of nail bars and shops selling the latest trainers in low-income areas? Should we stop people on low incomes buying 50 inch TVs? None of these things are essential. All of these things eat into income. Of all the people I know on low incomes, none of them gamble, to my knowledge, yet all of them spend money on other small non-essential items.

Perhaps you'd suggest that benefits are paid in food stamps, redeemable only against absolute staple food items, only from the supermarket basic/value ranges of food?

At what level of income am I allowed to have a bet in your world, Jim?

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 27 March 2014 8.48am
Well said, Ivanhoe.
Thursday 27 March 2014 9.42am
I think "preying" refers to the strategy of the industry, not the activities of individual bookmakers...
Thursday 27 March 2014 9.44am
Thanks for spotting the Freudian slip, Boroughnian.

With respect, your 'evidence' is by definition highly anecdotal, being based on the evidence of one person.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 2 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions