London SE1 community website

Queen Elizabeth St Tesco Express

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 10 of 18
Thursday 8 January 2015 4.20pm
sarahse1 wrote:
And of course if none of us shop there we can MAKE it an unprofitable one ready for the next round of closures :-)

Thing is that it means people will lose jobs. It's ridiculous that store openings appear to have been rushed through without any business model, purely for competition reasons e.g. with Sainsbury's, and when it doesn't work out and the execs fiddle the figures and get found out, working people lose their jobs.
Friday 9 January 2015 2.18pm
I will probably be shot down for saying this but I would assume most if not all of the people who will work in this store will have come to the UK to get the jobs on offer rather than any out of work people here.
Friday 9 January 2015 2.48pm
sarahse1 wrote:
I will probably be shot down for saying this but I would assume most if not all of the people who will work in this store will have come to the UK to get the jobs on offer rather than any out of work people here.

Maybe if you substantiate your comment you might not get shot down for it but allow mature debate.
Friday 9 January 2015 3.19pm
The link to the article re Scotland was interesting, cheers Edward.
Friday 9 January 2015 3.53pm
Regards to the comments about who the store may employ, it may be worth remembering the Sainsburys on Jamaica Rd making a concerted effort to hire from the area. I would hope this store could achieve the same.
Friday 9 January 2015 6.51pm
barrierdickson wrote:
Regards to the comments about who the store may employ, it may be worth remembering the Sainsburys on Jamaica Rd making a concerted effort to hire from the area. I would hope this store could achieve the same.

Dunno, maybe they do... We make sure that when we create jobs, we do what we can to give them to local people.
Friday 9 January 2015 8.31pm
I think the same was said about the new Tesco in The Cut? From what I have seen the staff are very much local, in good and bad ;)
Zoe
Friday 9 January 2015 9.26pm
I can't recall ever seeing non British staff in any of the supermarkets around here, and most seem to be South or East Londoners (in case anyone thinks North Londoners count as outsiders).
Saturday 10 January 2015 2.58pm
---and where do east Londoners come from ? South of the river?
Saturday 10 January 2015 4.18pm
Thebunhouse wrote:
---and where do east Londoners come from ? South of the river?

There's more affinity between South(-East) and East Londoners than between either and North Londoners, no?
Current: 10 of 18

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions