London SE1 community website

Queen Elizabeth St Tesco Express

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 18
Thursday 12 June 2014 11.33am
I heard today from a tenant that the dentist in the Circle is to relocate across the road to the empty unit formerly occupied by the car hire people. Then both the current dental surgery and Lovage s to converted into a Tesco next year.
Wednesday 6 August 2014 6.51pm
I received a letter from the Council today confirming that Tesco have applied for planning permission to move into the ex-Lovage building.

I'm pretty anti this (as I have mentioned previously) for the main reasons below- please don't confuse this for NIMBI-ism as that isn't the case.

There are already two Tesco stores within a 10 minute walk, combine that with the Co-Op and the shop on Queen Elizabeth Street I feel that there are already more than enough options.

I'm confident that Tesco's motivation for moving into the area is that Sainsbury are moving into the One Tower Bridge development- again, we have enough options!

One of the great things about Shad Thames is how unique it feels compared to other parts of London- Let a big chain supermarket into the area and that will be quickly eroded.

Any ideas where they will park to deliver there?

I have no connection to the shop on Queen Elizabeth Street (Nisa) apart from being a customer for the last 4 years. They've spent the time building a loyal group of customers by providing excellent customer service (to the point where they will specifically order an item in for you) and I would hate to see their business destroyed by the "One size fits all" chain store approach.

I would welcome your thoughts.

NTG.
Friday 8 August 2014 5.39pm
I'm 100% behind you NTG - The Circle (Nisa) have served the area for over 20 years. If they don't have a product you want they get it in for you. There is going to be Sainsburys just over Tower Bridge Road & there is no need for this additional food store. Also on a practical level can you imagine the delivery lorries ??
Saturday 9 August 2014 1.51pm
I live in the circle an think this is a terrible idea it just doesn't fit in to the area at all and would course a lot of distribution to the road and residence plus the circle store as been there for 20 years plus do we really need another tesco?!
Saturday 9 August 2014 2.26pm
Hamish McCallum at Southwark Council is your man to notify- I've let him know my thoughts, please do the same.
RZ
Sunday 10 August 2014 12.57am
sarahse1 wrote:
... Also on a practical level can you imagine the delivery lorries ??

I once lived across the street from a Tesco Metro. The 7am delivery woke up the neighbourhood every day of the year except Christmas Day.
Sunday 10 August 2014 8.11am
Does anyone complain about Circle Store deliveries - or do they use silent lorries?

Looking forward to the new Tesco. And I live local.
Monday 11 August 2014 8.57am
NickTheGreek wrote:
I received a letter from the Council today confirming that Tesco have applied for planning permission to move into the ex-Lovage building
Does the letter give a planning application reference number (in the form 14/AP/1234)?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 11 August 2014 9.02am
Boss St Bloke wrote:
Does anyone complain about Circle Store deliveries - or do they use silent lorries?
Looking forward to the new Tesco. And I live local.

I'm sure some people have complained about Circle Store Deliveries so why double up (at the very least) on the problem? How many food stores do we actually need within a 5 minute walk?
Monday 11 August 2014 11.23am
Will there be anything residence can do to stop this?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 18

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions