London SE1 community website

Queen Elizabeth St Tesco Express

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 18
Monday 11 August 2014 7.20pm
Over the years I've often agreed with you BSB but not this time I'm afraid. For me it's another rather large nail in the coffin for our neighbourhood. Wetherspoons, Pizza Express , Starbucks , Browns etc and now Tesco and Holiday Inn. How about a Greggs or Poundland? It all adds up to a significant negative shift in the character of the place and ultimately it's desirability and value. Take a look outside any small Tesco such as the one on Tooley Street for an example of the problems they bring such as littering. Those against this should contact our excellent Riverside counsellors.
Monday 11 August 2014 8.18pm
spacemaker wrote:
Over the years I've often agreed with you BSB but not this time I'm afraid. For me it's another rather large nail in the coffin for our neighbourhood. Wetherspoons, Pizza Express , Starbucks , Browns etc and now Tesco and Holiday Inn. How about a Greggs or Poundland? It all adds up to a significant negative shift in the character of the place and ultimately it's desirability and value. Take a look outside any small Tesco such as the one on Tooley Street for an example of the problems they bring such as littering. Those against this should contact our excellent Riverside counsellors.

Hi mate - long time no see! Thanks for the comment.

Perhaps I am just odd, but I am looking forward to a Tesco so close to me, just for the convenience of it.

As for the delivery noise - I know someone who lives 100 feet from the Circle Store, and they say the noise is minimal. I have shopped at the Circle Store for 18 years and love the place - but look forward to a Tesco on my door step. I guess I am just bringing a (not very popular) Balance to the forum.

Billy1 asked what can be done about the proposal? - if you want to give feedback on the plan (for or against), pop into the Circle Store - they are handing out letters that detail a "Survey Monkey" site where you can register your opinion - apparently, this gives feed back to the Lib Dems, who have taken an interest in this issue. I am sorry, but I cannot remember the URL.

I hope that majority rules on this issue and I have set out my stall, but don't hate me because I am in the minority. Thanks.
Monday 11 August 2014 10.39pm
A holiday inn?? And where is this going to be?
Tuesday 12 August 2014 7.12am
The address for the survey is:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/shadthamestesco

Regarding noise - I live in the Circle directly overlooking Lovage. We regularly get woken by delivery lorries struggling to turn into Curlew Street at ungodly hours (who knows where they are trying to get to!) and can only imagine that the advent of Tesco will exacerbate this.
Tuesday 12 August 2014 10.05am
Hi James,

I can't find the letter in my office so I think it must be at home, I'll have a look later.

NTG
Tuesday 12 August 2014 10.12am
FWD, the delivery lorries will be attempting to gain access to the various shopfronts/businesses requiring deliveries. I object to the new Tesco store on the basis there are too many in the area, but traffic noise is part and parcel of living in such a central area. Tesco or no Tesco the noise will continue.
Tuesday 12 August 2014 10.24am
For balance, I live just around the corner from the Circle Store and the noise isn't that bad. They get quite lucky with parking as there is a loading bay opposite the store.

The former Lovage site doesn't have this facility, and do we really need more lorries in the area?

Anyway, fair play to BSB for raising his point of view in an articulate manner.
Thursday 21 August 2014 9.16am
I'm not sure how true this is but allegedly the owners of apartments in The Circle have been offered extensions on their leaseholds if they don't object to the new Tesco's ! Does anyone know if this is true?
Thursday 21 August 2014 12.20pm
It's not true.
Wednesday 3 September 2014 3.19pm
Anyone heard any more about this? Apparently the surveymonkey thing is currently stating that 80% of participants are against the new store- how true this is I don't know.

I've emailed Hamish (the councillor) on two occasions and haven't received a response- poor form.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 18

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions