London SE1 community website

Queen Elizabeth St Tesco Express

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 18
Thursday 23 October 2014 6.16pm
Does anyone have any thoughts about whether this proposal is likely to proceed considering the recent financial issues affecting Tesco?
Friday 24 October 2014 8.01am
If anything it will make them more determined to move into the area. The old model of large superstores has had it, consumer shopping habits are now more aligned with convenience stores.
Friday 24 October 2014 8.14am
I reckon NickTheGreek has it about right. More small stores. Where they can, they will divest themselves of big stores.

One example is probably going to be the big Old Kent Road store. This is now all tied up in that Bakerloo Line Extension consultation. When they talk about money from private developers for the tube extension they mean all that brownfield land, Tesco included. Remember a few years ago when Tesco wanted to rebuild that store with several hundred homes on top? They didn't do it at least partly because they couldn't find a temporary site for the business during construction. Now they'll just litter the local area with more Metro and Express stores then put a mega-housing project on that site.

So alas, The Circle, Tesco are coming. But in a funny kind of way it will be part of regeneration of the SE1 area. Though by regeneration I do mean thousands more (mostly private) homes and (at least hopefully) a tube line down the Old Kent Road.
Tuesday 4 November 2014 12.36pm
Tesco has finally put in a planning application:

http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/AcolNetCGI.exe?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=9557428

(documents not yet online)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 4 November 2014 3.16pm
How do we object to this ? I've looked at the planning but can't find a way of commenting
Tuesday 4 November 2014 4.13pm
sarahse1 wrote:
How do we object to this ? I've looked at the planning but can't find a way of commenting

The Southward website states that the consultation period for this application is not open and advises you to contact the case officer directly if you have any questions.

However there doesn't appear to be a case officer allocated yet
Tuesday 4 November 2014 10.20pm
sarahse1 wrote:

Sarah have you filled in the survey on https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/shadthamestesco or contacted councillor Anood Al-Samerai? They are collecting views of local residents which have so far been overwhelmingly opposed to the opening of the Tesco. The Shad Thames Residents Association is also actively coordinating a fight to put a stop to this.
Wednesday 5 November 2014 11.33am
With regard to objecting against the planning permission, the only hope we have is that if the change of use for the current dental surgery is turned down. If Tesco can't get this then they won't move in.

I'm under the impression that whilst the survey has shown how strongly people do not want (another) Tesco in the area, it will have little bearing on the outcome, and that Tesco will win. The council are keen on what Tesco promise as part of moving into an area- eg reading schemes. Whilst this is obviously a benefit to some areas, I don't see how Shad Thames would benefit.

Some of their plans are a joke- they think that they'll be able to park their lorries on Curlew Street (3 times a day!) which is laughable. They also want to stay open until 11pm every night, and as anyone who lives in the area knows- the narrow streets exacerbate any noise.

Tesco are known for closing stores which don't perform-If they do move in the solution is to vote with your feet and don't use them. They'll soon get the message.
Monday 17 November 2014 12.24pm
Looks like Tesco have made their planning application:

http://planningonline.southwark.gov.uk/AcolNetCGI.exe?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=9557428

Objections can be made to:

planning.consultation@southwark.gov.uk

Please make sure that you state the application number and your postal address.
Monday 17 November 2014 12.56pm
Can anyone give advice on the best way to formally object? It's not something I've done before.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 18

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions