London SE1 community website

Queen Elizabeth St Tesco Express

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 18
Monday 17 November 2014 1.17pm
The council is likely to favour any application which enables commercial activity to take place; the Lovage unit has been closed for years and there are several other vacant units in The Circle. It's fair to say there is little demand for those units. In addition, they can't refuse planning consent on the basis that there are enough Tesco stores in the area already, or people want a Waitrose instead (or any other retailer). However, the extra noise and traffic should be taken into account and so any objections should focus on that, together with the limited parking there is for Tesco trucks.
Monday 17 November 2014 3.10pm
Cheers Nick
Monday 17 November 2014 7.16pm
The planning application for the proposed Tesco store on Queen Elizabeth Street is now open for consultation, ref 14/AP/4094.

If you'd like to join with others responding, you could contact [email protected] and also local councillors Anood Al-Samerai [email protected] and Hamish McCallum [email protected]
Monday 17 November 2014 9.36pm
This really is the kiss of death for Shad Thames as a desirable place to live. Starbucks , Wetherspoons, Pizza Express , Browns and now Tesco - to be followed by Holiday Inn. I wonder what will replace the Design Museum? MacDonalds, KFC , Greggs, Poundland perhaps? There's nothing to stop the decline. Just the worst news in 30 years. Decimated by low end dross.
Monday 17 November 2014 9.51pm
I think you're being a tad overdramatic, Spacemaker. It's only (another) Tesco. Granted, there's too many of them, but "kiss of death" is taking it to another level.
Monday 17 November 2014 10.38pm
Respect your opinion Gavin. To me though, that's a list that spells an unnecessary, avoidable and negative change of character and a decline. It's not just "another Tesco" to me. It's a total failure to protect the special place that it once was and turning it into another "any town" high street. Low end brands (they just don't get any lower in their respective markets) that you'd get almost anywhere and….estate agents - that's what's happened. Look out Bermondsey Street.
Monday 17 November 2014 10.49pm
I respect your view too, Spacemaker, and I agree that the proliferation of these micro Tesco stores (and others) is not good. It seems as though every other shop these days is an Express or a Local or an M&S Eat. Going past on the bus the other day, I saw on Waterloo Road three such shops almost next door to one another, where previously there used to be a good restaurant, a bike shop and I can't remember what the other was.
Monday 17 November 2014 11.27pm
Where exactly is the holiday inn going to be?
Monday 17 November 2014 11.44pm
The old Magistrates Court…allegedly.
Tuesday 18 November 2014 11.36am
spacemaker wrote:
... an unnecessary, avoidable and negative change of character and a decline. It's not just "another Tesco" to me. It's a total failure to protect the special place that it once was and turning it into another "any town" high street. Low end brands (they just don't get any lower in their respective markets) that you'd get almost anywhere and….estate agents - that's what's happened. Look out Bermondsey Street.

If the inhabitants of the "special place" don't want a Tesco Express they won't use it and it will cease trading. In that case the overall effect is minimal - exchanging a closed down shop for a closed down restaurant. if they do want it then it will thrive. There's little passing tourist trade in that vicinity - the people who live and work in the area will decide the eventual outcome - nothing wrong with that unless you think folk need to be protected from the consequences of their decisions and actions? In general, I perceive a big disconnect in that people express dismay when these clone outlets propose to open, and then proceed to shop in them once they're in place.

(Like many others, I would rather see a thriving independent local business in that space than another megacorp supermarket outlet. But in our version of a free market capitalist society that's pretty unlikely.)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 18

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions