London SE1 community website

Costa Coffee in Southwark Street (ex Harper's Cafe)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Tuesday 15 April 2014 4.04pm
boroughpaul wrote:
where are our shoreditch/hoxton style proper coffee shops?
Absolutely!
If ever there was a case screaming to be taken before the ECHR, this must be it.
The only justifiable "skinny" option is jeans, surely?

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 15 April 2014 5.06pm
[boroughpaul wrote:
where are our shoreditch/hoxton style proper coffee shops?]

mainly in shoreditch and hoxton I think. Tourists & accountants sadly prefer Costa....
Tuesday 15 April 2014 9.19pm
Have you guys deliberately forgotten Monmouth? :) The queues can be hideous on Saturdays but the coffee is worth it...
Thursday 17 April 2014 7.48pm
Jayne at Terry Cafe - Great Suffolk Street - uses Monmouth and is a fine fine fine Barista..
Thursday 17 April 2014 9.23pm
sarahse1 wrote:
But we do have the lovely new coffee shop on B Square Hej, selling Swedish coffee

Being Swedish, I was very excited when my husband told me about the new (Swedish) coffee shop HEJ in Bermondsey Sq. I was a tiny bit disappointed to discover it is run by Sweden's biggest coffee company which is called Löfbergs (they bought Percol last year) and far from small and independent. Saying that, I love coffee and go to all coffee shops in the area, chains as well as small ones, and should probably keep quiet :-) I just think it would be nicer if HEJ didn't pretend to be a small independent coffee shop.
Friday 18 April 2014 7.30am
To be fair they do have booklets lying around stating their provenance. Went in there yesterday and can confirm the quality. Would have liked a sofa though. The coffee grains waste built table is an impressive piece of furniture.
Friday 18 April 2014 4.42pm
Kristina wrote:
sarahse1 wrote:
But we do have the lovely new coffee shop on B Square Hej, selling Swedish coffee

Being Swedish, I was very excited when my husband told me about the new (Swedish) coffee shop HEJ in Bermondsey Sq. I was a tiny bit disappointed to discover it is run by Sweden's biggest coffee company which is called Löfbergs (they bought Percol last year) and far from small and independent. Saying that, I love coffee and go to all coffee shops in the area, chains as well as small ones, and should probably keep quiet :-) I just think it would be nicer if HEJ didn't pretend to be a small independent coffee shop.

It's how everything is branded, from the big Supermarkets advertising themselves on TV as being part of your Christmas (yuk!) to Coffeeshop chains pretending to be independent. No more local shops for local people!
Friday 18 April 2014 5.06pm
PS - don't know what the impact will be, but Starbucks are moving their European HQ from Amsterdam to London.
Saturday 19 April 2014 10.44am
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Kristina wrote:
sarahse1 wrote:

It's how everything is branded, from the big Supermarkets advertising themselves on TV as being part of your Christmas (yuk!) to Coffeeshop chains pretending to be independent. No more local shops for local people!

Hmm... wait a minute, in fairness, on their website they are very much upfront about Löfbergs being their supplier, but that's a very different thing from being run by them. What's the reality, can someone clarify?
Saturday 19 April 2014 7.05pm
Sandgrown Dave wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Kristina wrote:
sarahse1 wrote:

Hmm... wait a minute, in fairness, on their website they are very much upfront about Löfbergs being their supplier, but that's a very different thing from being run by them. What's the reality, can someone clarify?

Hi again. Yes, that's what I mean. On their website www.hejcoffee.co.uk, they mention Löfbergs is their supplier but when you look at "who's running the show" and "your friendly coffee fiends" you find one of the names is the same as the Managing Director of Löfbergs UK division and that is what I didn't like. I love Löfbergs coffee but just thought it a bit unfair on the smaller places. I might be wrong? Today, I went for lunch at another great Scandi place called Scandinavian Kitchen and thought their coffee was beautiful. Turns out it was Monmouth :-) (hope I can mention that despite it not being local)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions