London SE1 community website

Costa Coffee in Southwark Street (ex Harper's Cafe)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3
Sunday 20 April 2014 5.50pm
Try Tom's small place on Abbey Street (next to Ken Amadi the Chemist). The Pedlar's Workshop - cafe, bar, gallery and bike repairs! And he's thinking of running art and pottery classes. No connection, just popped in yesterday for a Monmouth coffee.
Would be lovely to see a local independent initiative work, but do ring to make sure he's open as he's had to get other jobs to keep paying the bills...
0789 1950 860
Monday 21 April 2014 11.54pm
I thought I'd just ask them... Louise Clark from HEJ replied to my e-mail and said:
"Just to clarify, we (HEJ) are an independent business with no formal ties to Lofbergs. We are very happy and proud to be using their coffee."

Kristina wrote:
Sandgrown Dave wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Kristina wrote:
sarahse1 wrote:
But we do have the lovely new coffee shop on B Square Hej, selling Swedish coffee

Being Swedish, I was very excited when my husband told me about the new (Swedish) coffee shop HEJ in Bermondsey Sq. I was a tiny bit disappointed to discover it is run by Sweden's biggest coffee company which is called Löfbergs (they bought Percol last year) and far from small and independent. Saying that, I love coffee and go to all coffee shops in the area, chains as well as small ones, and should probably keep quiet :-) I just think it would be nicer if HEJ didn't pretend to be a small independent coffee shop.

It's how everything is branded, from the big Supermarkets advertising themselves on TV as being part of your Christmas (yuk!) to Coffeeshop chains pretending to be independent. No more local shops for local people!

Hmm... wait a minute, in fairness, on their website they are very much upfront about Löfbergs being their supplier, but that's a very different thing from being run by them. What's the reality, can someone clarify?

Hi again. Yes, that's what I mean. On their website www.hejcoffee.co.uk, they mention Löfbergs is their supplier but when you look at "who's running the show" and "your friendly coffee fiends" you find one of the names is the same as the Managing Director of Löfbergs UK division and that is what I didn't like. I love Löfbergs coffee but just thought it a bit unfair on the smaller places. I might be wrong? Today, I went for lunch at another great Scandi place called Scandinavian Kitchen and thought their coffee was beautiful. Turns out it was Monmouth :-) (hope I can mention that despite it not being local)
Tuesday 22 April 2014 10.36am
Don't forget the hole in the wall place at the top of Bermondsey St opposite Tanner and co. Drew makes a wonderful cup, right up there with Monmouth etc.
Saturday 7 June 2014 10.07am
I agree with ljgiles - Jaune (pronounced Jane) outside Terry's on Great Suffolk Street is the best barista in SE1. Why go and queue at Monmouth Coffee at Borough Market when you could have a lush Monmouth Coffee in the sun outside Terry's with the local chat to go with it if u fancy. Although don't spread the word too much so we end up getting massive queues there too... (Ps coffee & croissant £3 - can't complain with that!)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3
Current: 3 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions