London SE1 community website

Flyover demolition

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Friday 2 May 2014 11.21am
I know the area well, thanks.

You should have a look on googlemaps - there are massive support pillars taking up space at least one lane wide, more like 2. But once the flyover is taken out the whole roundabout could be looked at and redesigned. There is lots of space to make a nice area and redesign it for this new century.

Flyovers (and subways) are from the 60s and should eventually go imho.
Friday 2 May 2014 12.02pm
James' picture shows quite clearly that the flyover takes two lanes of space from New and Old Kent Road, but provides space for one lane of traffic. The viaduct is solid to the ground apart from at the roundabout - for me, this is part of the problem, as it creates a barrier between Walworth and Bermondsey.

Friday 2 May 2014 12.27pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Watched the news this morning and saw the Strand underpass was closed..the traffic was backed up Waterloo bridge and beyond! Perhaps people will realise what would happen if the flyover was closed..

I've noticed that as well, but it also made me wonder: maybe replace the flyover with an underpass?
Friday 2 May 2014 1.12pm
There would easily be enough room to have two lanes of straight through eastbound traffic at ground level, with maybe a signalised junction of some sort for traffic leaving/joining the A2.
There's clearly a lot less use of the flyover now than there used to be - was it ever two lanes of traffic? was it ever two way flow?
maybe leaving it there, but oppening up the underneath with new structural design, and makeing it two way, you could get traffic flow both ways along the A2, and lots more space around the roundabout for better space usage at ground level.
Sunday 4 May 2014 2.03pm
I agree if two lanes of traffic could go over it it would feel more like we are getting our money's worth, but if you look at Google maps you can see the traffic that flows UNDER the flyover and if you demolish the flyover you have to integrate that traffic into this already overcrowded junction or displace it elsewhere.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Bricklayers+Arms+New+Kent+Rd+(Stop+BS)/@51.4937862,-0.0858622,18z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x4876035e27e205e1:0x2461c11d653b2a11?hl=en
Monday 12 May 2014 12.46pm
I think this is why TfL are holding on to the flyover... it gives them the space for a tunnel portal:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/mayor-sets-out-plan-for-22mile-ringroad-tunnel-under-london-9354896.html
AD
Sunday 18 May 2014 9.24pm
This link seems to show a newly completed flyover and junction, which gives us some historical context to the discussion...

Old Kent Road in the 70's
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions