London SE1 community website

Parking Fine Freda Street Se1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Monday 19 May 2014 10.46am
Ivanhoe, that is not what I said at all. What I said was that I had parked there. I had not decided it was dangerous to others and your suggestion that "parked there on the basis that you thought you could get away with it" is disingenuous and plain wrong.

For the record, I have not parked there since my discussion with the traffic warden. However, absent a sign or instruction to the contrary, I can legitimately park there if I want to.

What exactly is your problem?
Monday 19 May 2014 11.05am
And are you saying that because I now suspect it could at times be dangerous, the original poster deserves to pay an unlawful fine?
Monday 19 May 2014 12.35pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
Ivanhoe, that is not what I said at all. What I said was that I had parked there. I had not decided it was dangerous to others

Well, yes you had. In your earlier post.

My point, made a few times now, is that modern "morality" seems to be that it's OK to do anything that isn't clearly signposted as illegal, regardless of whether we might think it's dangerous (or even inconvenient) to others, and that I think that's a shame. It might be a better world if we just took some personal responsibility for our actions.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 19 May 2014 12.39pm
Ivanhoe wrote:

My point, made a few times now, is that modern "morality" seems to be that it's OK to do anything that isn't clearly signposted as illegal, regardless of whether we might think it's dangerous (or even inconvenient) to others, and that I think that's a shame. It might be a better world if we just took some personal responsibility for our actions.

I agree.
Monday 19 May 2014 12.43pm
Ivanhoe, this will be my last post on the subject as it is descending into tittle-tattle, but I am certainly not prepared to be educated in morality, especially by you!

"It might be a better world..." aside, do you have something substantive to add to the original poster's query other than just antagonising and adding nothing to a perfectly reasonable question?
Monday 19 May 2014 1.44pm
No thanks. I'll leave the thread clear for you to carry on advising people on how to get off parking tickets for parking in places that you yourself have said are potentially dangerous to others.

I have no expertise in this sort of thing.

I do love the "especially by you" comment, though, so thanks for that. The frisson of being able to think that someone considers me to be no good moral example is reward enough for sharing my views. I'm now picturing myself biting the head off a bat.

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions