London SE1 community website

Homeless people in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6
Sunday 8 June 2014 6.04pm
Just saw the Southwark spikes on Channel Four News. Two residents from the flats were interviewed. One thought they were a good idea, the other had doubts.
Let's hope the idea does not catch on. What next? Man traps?
Sunday 8 June 2014 7.36pm
Sunday 8 June 2014 7.38pm
Someone in the flats must have complained about homeless people sleeping there, they would not have been put there otherwise
Monday 9 June 2014 6.27am
Poor provision with respect to services for homeless people many of whom have mental health and/or drug/addiction problems is an entirely separate issue. I doubt many people would question that there's insufficient assistance. That said, allowing people to sleep in doorways is not a solution. If the managing agent had merely filled the space with a rock garden or other uneven architectural feature would we be having this discussion? The answer is No. Perhaps all the anti-skateboarding edge studs should be removed because they stop skateboarders having fun! Their solution to a problem of trespass is both tidy and practical I really don't see why it's a problem.
Monday 9 June 2014 7.42am
just had a quick look at the council's planning pages, there doesn't seem to be anything there (as in maybe you don't need a planning permission to do that) unless of course the spikes are camouflaged as minor alterations or something, difficult to say without reading each and every one - does anyone know what the street number is?
Monday 9 June 2014 7.48am
On Channel Four News they showed 118 Southwark Bridge Road as the street number
Monday 9 June 2014 11.11am
osolon wrote:

Oddly enough My Mum always said there was a 'Spike' just off Westmoreland Road...i.e. a workhouse, she lived in fear of ending up in the workhouse.I remember walking the streets with my two brothers being pusghed in an old bassinette and my sister and I trailing alongside our Mum. My father was mentally ill, we had no option but to return home to our bombed two rooms! no social services then, only the welfare and Mum was worried we would be 'taken away' thank heavens for modern life, now days at least we would be all together in a hostel! :-)
Monday 9 June 2014 12.28pm
The Beeb has the story
Monday 9 June 2014 12.53pm
jonnyp42 wrote:
Poor provision with respect to services for homeless people many of whom have mental health and/or drug/addiction problems is an entirely separate issue. I doubt many people would question that there's insufficient assistance. That said, allowing people to sleep in doorways is not a solution. If the managing agent had merely filled the space with a rock garden or other uneven architectural feature would we be having this discussion? The answer is No. Perhaps all the anti-skateboarding edge studs should be removed because they stop skateboarders having fun! Their solution to a problem of trespass is both tidy and practical I really don't see why it's a problem.

I agree with that, the real outrage is the acceptance of this homeless problem.

As an aside, I was working on a building in Threadneedle st, I was a smoker at the time so often outside having a puff. There was a homeless and mentally ill man stood outside every day with a cup of tea that seemed to last forever (I don't think there was anything in the cup), I knew why he was there,he'd found a warm spot.
I kept getting calls about a smell on the floors, all down one side of the building were complaining of this smell, I spent hours/days investigating the A/C plant etc, couldn't get to the bottom of it.
One day i'm outside having a smoke and there were works going on outside so I had to stand a bit closer to the homeless fella, THAT SMELL! Turns out he was standing right by the intake for the A/C unit lol.
Facilities bloke tells me to remove the man from the area, so I found another warm spot for him and bought him a cup of tea. I bought him a cup everyday for a couple of weeks and then he just disappeared.

So sad.
Monday 9 June 2014 1.21pm
jonnyp42 wrote:
Their solution to a problem of trespass is both tidy and practical I really don't see why it's a problem.

Tidy, practical and spikes. Maybe the symbolism and practicality of sharp metal spikes are the problem people are finding. As you say, a planter with hardy shrubs would be more appealing to residents, passersby and all than aggressive spikes. Maybe spikes are cheaper and easier to maintain.

But outrage over spikes needs to be accompanied with outrage over the demolitions and selling off of public housing which North Southwark has faced for the last 10 years or more. The more public housing accessible for all then the less need to defend homes with spikes!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 2 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions