London SE1 community website

Homeless people in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
Monday 9 June 2014 1.41pm
Tolstoy wrote:
This has been going on for years. Look beneath the platform of the Milleniuum Bridge on the North side, this used to be a flat surface. Also, all the benches along the river front have had dividing armrests added. You see these measures in any piece of null land resulting from buidling design unfortunately.

While these spikes/studs seem to be to prevent rough sleepers, the ones where they put armrests along benches or on flat surfaces are often to prevent people riding skateboards or rollerskates along the edge. The steps/benches by grass at Potters Field also have studs every metre or so. It's because when people slide the boards or skates along to do tricks, it damages the stonework and not only looks bad, but weakens the stone and so it starts to fall apart.
Monday 9 June 2014 2.53pm
The space underneath the bridge isn't skate-able so can only be to deter sleeping there and I would have thought adding centre armrests to previously open ones is for the same reason, but I understand what your saying. I've always been of the mind that skateboarders help shape public space as you see various solutions to their activities; consider the stepped arrangement of seating around the planting outside the RSB building on Southwark St and the irregular benches facing the river at Southwark Bridge on the South side.
Monday 9 June 2014 4.26pm
"The more public housing accessible for all then the less need to defend homes with spikes!"

Thank you Merlin Rouge.

This comment hits the nail on the head, or should that be spike?
Monday 9 June 2014 7.23pm
Agree with Merlin Rouge...how many family homes were there on the Heyagte! and how many on the Aylesbury...they are next are'nt they....
Tuesday 10 June 2014 5.13pm
https://twitter.com/se1/status/476407210642505728/photo/1

at least this building has some social housing - occupy neo bankside which bribed it's way out of it's allocation...or protest at the mayor's office

there's something really wrong about singling out 1 residential building and harrassing it's occupants for all the social ills of london...

i'll be donating some money to a local charity that deals with homelessness not shaking my pitchfork outside someone's home
Tuesday 10 June 2014 6.16pm
catflap, I totally agree. A misplaced protest directed at the wrong target.
Tuesday 10 June 2014 7.28pm
Surely the issue is about those spikes in that place at this time, and the message they send.
Tuesday 10 June 2014 7.34pm
JazzyQ wrote:
Surely the issue is about those spikes in that place at this time, and the message they send.

But what about the message separate entrances for social/affordable tenants send, i'm sure if the media decided to report that en masse there would be uproar...wouldn't there?

Take the point RE: at least they have some affordable/social properties.
Tuesday 10 June 2014 9.21pm
I agree, separate entrances for social/affordable tenants sends messages (we don't want you here really)

I despise this property caste system.

I know developers want to wriggle out of their responsibilities, and offer bungs to build elsewhere. I despise this too and wish they were not able to do it so easily.
The spikes are a more obvious manifestation of the "we definitely don't want you here"
Here is something which lightened my mood on this sorry topic.

http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2014/06/09/cameron-acts-swiftly-to-deal-with-controversial-anti-homeless-spikes/
Tuesday 10 June 2014 9.49pm
oh did someone say one the elephant? :)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions