London SE1 community website

Homeless people in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6
Wednesday 11 June 2014 6.27am
It's absolutely fantastic to see Southwark Council leader Peter John participate in the demonstration in front of the lobby of Southwark Bridge Road flats simply because there happens to be a TV crew around.

First, it is always good to see his Highness in the North of the Borough. It does not happen nearly enough. Could it be because he and his crew did absolutely nothing for that area?

Second, it gets even funnier when you know exactly what he did for Grange and Cathedral wards with his planning policy, him and his mates the developers. Were the tickets for the olympics nice? We are pretty much all rough sleepers here if you are not in a high paid job with no kids.

Third, its gets even better when you learn that the council is trying to do something at last about rough sleeper which is not a new issue at all. It just took the proximity of an election for the council to move its collective bottom. The said bottom will of course stop moving once we are on the other side of the election. It's a given.

As a good politician Clr John will try to shift the blame to the people who live here who have indeed to tackle every single day the consequence of the problem he could not solve in the first place. Had a policy been put in place in the first place, maybe there would not have been the need for spikes? Those spikes did not come out of the blue.

And finally, if spikes are not the solution would you have preferred some bollards or plants in pots because let's be very frank those are popping everywhere in SE1 and no its not simply to deter people from doing tricks or to embelish the area. Let's not be all hypocritical about it.
Wednesday 11 June 2014 8.29am
tut, tut, tabularasa, are you unaware of the 'real conundrum' of our leader?
Wednesday 11 June 2014 8.39am
Politics are dirty but politics in SE1 absolutely stinks.

I cannot wait to discover what we have on the council. In the last batch, we had a benefit fraud, a former convict and a paedo.

Can we outdo ourselves this time?
Wednesday 11 June 2014 10.12am
This journalist thinks the spikes should be nominated for the Turner Prize " a haunting symbol of the institutionalised amorality and social cruelty that defines our era"...
"a visual statement that banksy would struggle to equal"

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/matt-carr/homeless-spikes-turner-prize_b_5477249.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Perhaps Peter John could award it.
Wednesday 11 June 2014 10.23am
‘Homeless spikes’ row: Labour Party accused of having similar measure outside London HQ

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/homeless-spikes-row-labour-party-accused-of-having-similar-measure-outside-london-hq-9517781.html

What a complete bunch of hypocrites!

A round of applause for Councillor Peter John, please.
Wednesday 11 June 2014 11.03am
This is perhaps what is envisioned for SE1/North Southwark by PJ and his developer cronies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqv43o1xy2I
Wednesday 11 June 2014 9.52pm
wtf is going on? has anyone checked if woking twitter boy and harriet the petition woman are actually real people and not being paid to cause problems for this particular building, it's right next to the fire training school which is due for development...maybe that's a bit tinfoil hat but check this gem of a report out...

http://tinyurl.com/nhsbh5d

London has a growing number of homeless people as a result of a combination of factors, including inflated rental prices, a chronic supply shortage of affordable new housing and cuts in welfare spending.

Now, one luxury apartment block has caused a huge row after making it clear homeless people are not welcome by cementing rows of metal spikes into the pavement outside the building.

Al Jazeera's Simon McGregor-Wood reports from London.
Thursday 12 June 2014 6.07am
And now Simon Hughes wades in and writes a letter to all the residents of 118 Southwark asking them to meet him and discuss…

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/7627

Could this be because this issue is getting some media attention? The last time I saw him in the flesh in that area of SE1 it also involved the press and camera crews. I must admit that he is getting a little slow with age on that one. Cllr Jones beat him to it by a whole day.

I sincerely hope the residents of 118 Southwark do not take him on his offer.

Why waste an evening talking to a politician who is just interested in the matter because he feels the situation could become embarrassing for him and his career?

I do not think the residents are responsible for all of London’s social ills. Mr Hughes was a member of a government that drastically cut spending on social programs. What was he hoping for? That the problems would disappear by itself? He should have known better, especially as the so-called MP of Southwark. The “problem” has simply moved to a porch near where you or I live.

I cannot stand the fact that a bunch of politicians is trying to divert the blame from their inability to tackle homelessness in London to a bunch of residents.The problem is not "spikes". The problem is "homelessness".

By the way, 118 Southwark has at least some much need mixed and social housing, something you will never see again (at least in this part of SE1) in Cllr Jones’s NeoBankside or his “blue sky thinking” with his mates the developers for Blackfriar Roads. I cannot wait to see what they'll come up for the re-development of the Fire Station just nearby.

Whether its is Lib-dem or Labour, the people who live in this part of town are not listened to.

I cannot believe our local politicians have just discovered that SE1 has a homelessness problem. In which part of SE1 do they live?

The same can be said of the whole planning application process where resident concerns are usually brushed aside (unless one of the councilors on the planning committee happens to live nearby or if there is a local election round the corner).

It’s simply because there is too much money to make from the developers, money that can be spent on pet project or on Labour’s heartland in the south under the current administration (you’ve got to buy the vote, right?).

… "but rest assured that the history, character and diversity of the North of the borough is in good hand"… you can bet on that.

This is private property. You are within your rights to put spikes there if you like and there is nothing Cllr Jones or Simon Hughes can say about it.

Hell... If I can get stopped and searched by a private security contractor at More London Estate, why can't you put spikes if you feel like it? Do property rights only apply if you are a developer or a corporate entity?

The Labour HQ has exactly the same system in place and I am willing to bet the Lib-dem HQ also. Why don’t those politicians starts by removing those and inviting in all the homeless (and alcoholism, mental health issues, aggression, defecation, drug use that goes with it) in their homes to show us how it’s done? Why not "lead from the front" for once?

So please, if you happen to live in 118 Southwark and read this, spend your evening with your family. It’s a much better use of your time.

Put Simon Hughes and Cllr Jones in front of their responsibilities and give them the finger on my behalf...exactly like they've been giving us the finger for so many years.
Friday 13 June 2014 8.43am
Here is a link from the Huffington Post about the deterrent spikes and Tesco.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/06/12/antihomeless-spikes-tesco-vandalised-concrete_n_5487823.html?utm_hp_ref=uk
Friday 13 June 2014 11.04am
Cllr Peter John wrote:
Really pleased to hear that the spikes have been removed from 118 Southwark Bridge Road - a proper response to a good campaign.

Do you think Cllr Peter John will aks that the Labour HQ do the same and remove the anti-homeless spike which have been installed in front?

The hypocrisy of the whole situation is not lost on me.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 4 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions