London SE1 community website

Homeless people in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Friday 13 June 2014 6.19pm
How about this then?-
http://www.factoryfurniture.co.uk/products-camden-bench.php

"The bench is designed with contemporary street seating needs in mind including resisting criminal and anti-social behaviour:
Deters rough sleeping ridged top and sloped surfaces make it difficult to lie on"

I don't recall any public outcry when these were installed in Camden.
Friday 13 June 2014 6.52pm
hm, we definitely tried to make some noise about lack of any seating/benches in public spaces - if you venture a bit south, there's absolutely nothing anywhere between camberwell and peckham (camberwell church st/peckham road) for people to stop and catch their breaths and/or have a cigarette/sandwich/whatever. it was pretty obvious, considering the council and councillors rhetoric about crime, safety, cctv cameras (which we must have even more of, although it's been proved, over and over again, that they do absolutely nothing to bring the crime figures down and are simply a placebo for those conditioned to be mortified of others), that the single reason there are no benches in public spaces is to stop people gathering. because you can never tell whether it's going to be the 'good' people or the 'bad' ones.
in camberwell, a local 'community' group was up in arms about people drinking in public in a park. obviously, this was anti-social behaviour as these people, who may or may not have a drinking problem (and need medical support), were annoyingly not rich enough to be drinking in the shi-shi bars and pubs like 'good' people do. a while back, still in camberwell, a group of residents was actually (and i really am not making this up) demanding that a local addiction support service keep the service users indoors during lunch hour, so they don't inconvenience the rest of 'hard working' neighbours.
Friday 13 June 2014 6.59pm
Tabularasa wrote:
The hypocrisy of the whole situation is not lost on me.

We've noticed.
Friday 13 June 2014 7.13pm
So the spikes have gone, what happens now if someone decides to kip there for the night? Do the residents have to be all welcoming?

I really can't make this furore out.
Friday 13 June 2014 7.17pm
pros wrote:
in camberwell, a local 'community' group was up in arms about people drinking in public in a park...

What's the purpose of the quotation marks here?

I don't know anything about this particular situation. In general though, I would observe that what people get upset about is not drinking per se but rather obnoxious, upsetting or threatening behaviour brought on by intoxication - whether the perpetrator has no home, one or several.
Friday 13 June 2014 8.06pm
quotation marks are to indicate that although the group is claiming to be representing local community, they're not (or are, but a very tiny elite bit of it)

ok, i get the bit about aggressive behaviour, but how many bars are being 'pre-emptively' cleansed of people drinking in case some of them get obnoxious?

there was this in the guardian today too http://t.co/zYvONzF32m
Friday 13 June 2014 8.24pm
I imagine the reason social housing now has security doors to the blocks is, partly at least, for the same kind of thing.

The hypocrisies are endless.
Saturday 14 June 2014 9.06am
boroughonian wrote:
So the spikes have gone, what happens now if someone decides to kip there for the night? Do the residents have to be all welcoming?
I really can't make this furore out.

i think most of the people who petitioned for this don't even live in London, i wonder how many have made donations or offered to volunteer for charities that help the homeless ...it's not going to change anything, buildings will just use less medieval looking ways to block spaces. It's perfectly ok to live in the shires and have a six foot fence and trees and rose bushes blocking private land in but how dare you do it in inner city london...

having had their address made public internationally and being accused of persecuting the less fortunate and of being uber rich and living in a luxury million pound plus apartments in an ivory tower I wonder what the residents can do against the 2 people that started this.

they let rip without much in the way of facts and surely the way the press has reported this as wealthy people in very expensive flats is a big invite to burglars...i'm feeling less safe in my home just because i live near these flats because the press has made it look like we are all dripping in diamonds round here.

i googled the address to see how much the flats are really worth and the story of the spikes comes up first...not sure anyone should allow the precedent to be set that an internet lynch mob is o.k. it's very creepy.

hopefully no one freezes to death in that space this winter and no one is attacked trying to get thru their front door by someone with serious mental health issues...
Saturday 14 June 2014 11.01am
catflap wrote:
...not sure anyone should allow the precedent to be set that an internet lynch mob is o.k. it's very creepy.

Oh dear... Internet lynch mob? LOL!
Saturday 14 June 2014 11.28am
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
catflap wrote:
...not sure anyone should allow the precedent to be set that an internet lynch mob is o.k. it's very creepy.

Oh dear... Internet lynch mob? LOL!

ignorant little englanders then? pompous little englanders? internet warriors :-)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions