London SE1 community website

Sunday Roast 2014

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Wednesday 11 June 2014 2.59pm
Yes, they were both a set price.

Can't remember what they were though, a few bottles of red wine tends to do that to me!
Wednesday 11 June 2014 3.18pm
Love it thanks! NickTheGreek :)

Life's too short live it!!!

D x
Thursday 12 June 2014 12.18pm
I've been there a couple of times but not recently.

Was very good though.
Thursday 12 June 2014 12.21pm
sishep wrote:
I've been there a couple of times but not recently.
Was very good though.

Should have said I meant The Leather Exchange.
Thursday 12 June 2014 2.57pm
The Trinity does a good roast - I don't think it is more than 13. Portions very generous and tasty.

The Laughing Gravy - also good as noted above.

The Goldsmiths also does a roast on a Sunday - haven't eaten it but it looked good when other tables ordered
Monday 16 June 2014 12.12pm
Try The Goldsmith on Southwark Bridge Rd. Massive portions and very tasty. About 12-15
http://thegoldsmithpubanddiningroom.co.uk/

Friendly staff too. (And dare I say it, shhhhh, not overun with kids)

Also great value with big portions 9-12 is the Sunday roast at The Kings Arms on Roupell St in Waterloo
http://www.windmilltaverns.com/the-kings-arms/
Sunday 22 June 2014 4.37pm
OK so...Today we went to The Goldsmiths for lunch.

13.75 for Slow Roasted Belly Pork, Roast beef or Roast Lamb, all with Swede, carrot, cabbage and roast potatoes and a Yorkshire pudding and gravy (two meats for 15.50) The verdict.

Great service, friendly staff. No children about.

The Beef was slightly chewy and one person in our party was sure that they only got beef even though they ordered beef and lamb (didn't complain because they didn't want to ruin a nice day out)the Yorkshire puds were slightly dry which suggests they were kept ready cooked somewhere to warm. Expected mashed swede if I am honest but it was cubed. Lovely gravy and fantastic horseradish sauce.

All in all it was ok but the staff beat the roast!

Would I go back...Maybe, but I think I will try some of the other suggestions given in this thread first :)

D x
Monday 23 June 2014 10.35am
So great to hear that there are no children about. Let's hope the rises in rents and house prices in SE1 soon see all children banished to the outer suburbs and/or all remaining children kept busy working up chimneys so they've got no time to enjoy family Sunday lunch in a pub.

Were there any women? Any people from ethnic minorities? Any disabled people? etc. Or would it be offensive to comment on the presence/absence of people from those groups (whilst commenting on the absence of children appears to be acceptable)?

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 23 June 2014 10.54am
Ivanhoe Wow!

I was simply mentioned the no children as Phil_Bermondsey had mentioned it when recommending the Goldsmiths.

Behave yourself.

D x
Monday 23 June 2014 12.31pm
?And if he'd mentioned approvingly a lack of women, or any of the other groups I'd mentioned, would you feel it was appropriate to add to that observation. I'm guessing not?

I don't want to take this off topic, and I realise that I've done that, but I thought it worthy of comment as I found it offensive (and thought that other parents might also find it so).

I'll refrain from further comment, other than to say that The Goldsmith makes a policy of welcoming young people and will happily do them "half a roast" at half price, making them (in my eyes) one of the more welcoming places to take children for Sunday lunch in the area. Especially since, as you say, they appear to really put some effort into providing good service.

Hoping that's brought us back on topic, and apologising for the brief intermission in normal service...

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions