London SE1 community website

Names for Heygate

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Friday 13 June 2014 11.44am
@tabularasa lol times a hundred :)

no, our leader (it's cllr john btw) doesn't do breaking of anything. least of all of that 'pledge' in which southwark is 'fairer for all' (especially the 5,000+ residents who were taken to magistrates courts as they could not pay the brand new council tax, who, for 'some' reason they could not put ANY money out of say 56 a week towards the council tax. ah, if only they were earning 60-80K a year, things would've been so different...)
Friday 13 June 2014 1.08pm
Jan the old one wrote:
and where did the statues go to? Carytids (?) I think they were called, may have spelt that wrong!

They're in Southwark Park, Jan.
http://untappedcities.com/2011/05/30/caryatids-return-to-rotherhithe-town-hall-in-london-since-bombing-in-wwii/
Friday 13 June 2014 1.17pm
JazzyQ wrote:
Taking inspiration from a local fanzine called "Save North Southwark" here are my suggestions for the White Elephant Park development:
Lying Toad Tower
Fat Cat Boulevard
Corporate Pig Alley
Bear Faced Liar Lane
Fast Buck Corner
Cash Cow Meadows
Leech Street
Snouts in the Trough Mews
The Old Duck 'n Dive Public House

Folly Avenue (With a Blue Plaque for Fiona Colley "who destroyed here in [insert date]"

Colley Close - And put a branch of Barclays there with a blue plaque with Fiona Colley on it)

Simon Mews - blue plaque with errrr - leave it blank.

and so on....
Friday 13 June 2014 1.34pm
Do not be too harsh on Cllr Colley: she is just doing her job which is to toe the party line. Nothing personal.
Friday 13 June 2014 2.02pm
Tabularasa wrote:
Do not be too harsh on Cllr Colley: she is just doing her job which is to toe the party line. Nothing personal.

Not harsh enough really! Don't forget part of Fiona's portfolio was also "strategy" and Fiona was regularly out on the media in full glorious defiant arrogance. Memorable images of 2010-14.

When there is any sign of the new buzzword "humility" and any sign of a sincere apology to all those wronged 2010-14 then that might be a little progress - but so far nothing. The opposite, with our Dear Leader declaring the landslide election result an endorsement.

And they ditched the voluntary introduction of the socio-economic duty and for report equality assessments they were really badly done - so no, it's not harsh. If I was harsh James would have to censor my post!
Friday 13 June 2014 2.21pm
What angered me recently is that Cllr Peter John would rather speak to the media in front of 118 Southwark Street than talk to the residents who live there about why they thought it was a good idea to put those spikes in the first place. Typical.

The priority of politicians in SE1 (and I make no distinction between Labour and Libdem here) is :

1) Keep up the appearances with the media. Rush to any place where you have spotted a camera crew.

2) Maintain good relations with the property developers who are pouring cash in the borough while ripping it apart.

3) Remove any forum or mean through which the resident of SE1 can express their discontentment about said policy. Dilute the whole lot into some kind of assembly without any real power or clear agenda. Remove any form of scrutiny by the opposition (I blame both Libdem and Labour equally) just to be sure that noone who might have the time, ressource and inclination start asking nasty questions.

SE1 politics in a nutshell.

Instead, we are being asked to participate in some kind of phony process about choosing street names... for all the good it will do us in the end.

How can you call regeneration a success if it leads to the creation of an area totally devoid of life or character as the one we have at Embankment? This place is souless.
Friday 13 June 2014 3.11pm
Pete's Place with a statue of Peter which can be commissioned by a local artist for about 100,000, paid for by Lend Lease and agreed by Cabinet in July. Only artist's in the Family need apply.

A tall statue, so we can look up to it. With the engraving "Our Dear Leader"

I think the new Community Centre in Nunhead is going to be dedicated to Fiona once the group granted a long term lease take the next planned step and exercise community right to buy.

That's the other thing with leases - granting them!

Sometimes our generosity has no bounds.
Friday 13 June 2014 3.52pm
The last local naming competition was a joke anyway -

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/7347

Still ... you can but hope.

Car Lined Boulevard
Treeless Avenue
Sold Off Plan Mews
(And to coin a phrase used by Cllr John himself... http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/7585) Never Again Way
Friday 13 June 2014 4.08pm
Ofcourseyoucancomebackseeyouin court.
Friday 13 June 2014 4.22pm
Ha ha ha hhrca

Could that statue in Pete's Place be named Peter Jong-un, Our Dear Leader?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions