London SE1 community website

Did council meeting cost more than 400 a minute?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Thursday 19 June 2014 10.54am
Please find a selfie of our Dear Beloved Leader Cll Peter John and his partner at the Olympics courtesy of Lend Lease

[picture removed - JH]
Thursday 19 June 2014 11.00am
Shocking stuff. 400.00 a minute? Pyongyang Pete has excelled Himself.What a way to splash our cash.
Someone in the council should have gone to SpecSavers.
Who is this money paid to if they rearranged a room in their own building?
Why set up all those microphone desks if only the Dear Leader speaks anyway?

I notice that the Uni of Warwick are setting up a "part time masters in finance, human resources management, employment relations and an executive MBA at The Shard. Only up the road, Pete and chums. Enrol now to avoid disappointment.
Was there any spelt pasta in those nibbles?
Thursday 19 June 2014 11.12am
Is that an official photo of Peter? How he attended aside, it looks like he is on a day off and not on council business. I'm not sure it's fair to post the picture. It seems a bit intrusive. I'm probably wrong.
Thursday 19 June 2014 12.44pm
Gavin Smith wrote:
Is that an official photo of Peter? How he attended aside, it looks like he is on a day off and not on council business. I'm not sure it's fair to post the picture. It seems a bit intrusive. I'm probably wrong.
The implication is that the reason he was there was a bribe from Lend Lease I believe. And if it was a bribe, I would very much say that is council business.
Whether or not its fair, I'll leave to someone else to decide.
Thursday 19 June 2014 12.48pm
I think "bribe" might be a bit strong.
Thursday 19 June 2014 12.51pm
To be very clear: there is no implication of a bribe here.

Cllr John just showed in my opinion very poor common sense in accepting free tickets from a property developer which stands to make a killing from the redevelopment of the Heygate Estate while the Council stands to loose money.

Common sense would have dictated that he just buy his owns if he wanted to attend.

I put this picture as an answer to ProfessorPlum so as to illustrate the very cosy relationship between our Dear Council Leader and the property developers who are running roughshod over the north of the Borough.

I totally reject ProfessorPlum's allegation that the north is benefiting from hand outs. It's the contrary. The north is having to face the constant barrage of re-development work and skyrocketing rent costs while social housing stock is being sold off.
Thursday 19 June 2014 12.51pm
Tabularasa I have posted a long reply on a new thread, Considerate contractors in SE1.
We, the residents at Quadrant House could write a book on the topic.
Thursday 19 June 2014 10.14pm
Apologies. I must've got my wires a bit crossed. X(
Thursday 19 June 2014 11.08pm
rosepetal wrote:
Apologies. I must've got my wires a bit crossed. X(

Wouldn't be too hard on yourself, the fact that Lend Lease were the reason those two were there makes the photo fair game.
Monday 23 June 2014 9.41am
Council meetings are a legal requirement. If we want a democratic political system, it has to be funded. A dictatorship could be much cheaper. Are the LibDems suggesting that Peter John should be allowed to run Southwark for the next 4 years without any public accountability? I wouldn't support that idea, and I'm the secretary of his local Labour Party!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions