London SE1 community website

Comment on London Bridge Plan

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Monday 7 July 2014 9.37am
Thanks for taking the time to post comments on the site Davies.

The marker is to identify the location of the thing you're commenting about, so don't worry about the privacy aspect when using it. Some ideas might not be easily placed in one location but just pick somewhere that best represents the subject. You do have to register but no details are shown publically.

Just to clarify, the website inlondonbridge.co.uk (it's the same website as the longer url above) will be open for 6 months. At the end of it the comments will be collated and a document submitted to Southwark Council for consideration in an updated borough-wide Southwark Plan. While the Council Officers have been supportive of this process it is being independently managed by Team London Bridge and contributions from everyone (residents, employees, travellers, tourists... everyone!) are encouraged as we all have different needs and relationships with the area.

There is a boundary on the map, but that's just to denote the main focus of the resulting plan, comments on issues around the outside of this line are also important and relevant.

This is just one way to contribute to the process but possibly the easiest. Southwark will obviously have their own plans for the whole borough and Team London Bridge will also seek more in-depth responses from local groups at a later stage. But hopefully by providing this very quick and simple porthole a large volume of comments, inspiring observations and ideas from across a wide group of people can be put together.

All comments can be viewed publically on the map. It's going to make interesting reading in 6 months time!

Don Campbell
Team London Bridge
Saturday 12 July 2014 5.28pm
I just wanted to make a point about this method of collecting information. A while ago I had a conversation with the designer of this website - http://commonplace.is - and I have to say I was impressed by the thinking. It's been used in Shoreditch, Poplar and West Hampstead apparently, and it's one more way of consulting with people in an area. I asked the fairly obvious question, "Is this not skewed towards younger, more tech-savvy people?" and the answer was "Yes to an extent it is" but he pointed out that most conventional community consultation currently is very much skewed towards much older people, who like me, make up a very large part of the demographic of most community meetings that I attend. In other words, this goes some way to address the skewing that already exists and gives a voice to people who might not otherwise feel they have one. Plus of course, older people like me are not excluded from inputting. And by the way, no I don't work for their company!

You could certainly ask the question whether anybody will take any notice of opinions expressed via the website, but surely it's harder to ignore people when they've expressed a view than it is currently, where they can argue that "nobody said they liked/didn't like our proposals". Social Media are not so easily ignored these days.

I've replied to the forum post by Davies 5 July re the technical side under his/her post.
Saturday 12 July 2014 5.34pm
Davies wrote:
Have reluctantly waded through the signing up process and looked about.
It seems a nice website where people can actually post what they think so I take it all back. I was thinking of the "Bermondsey Plans" which are neither in Bermondsey nor accountable to anyone who is it would seem.

The only issue I have with your nice website is a technical one. It keeps wanting me to allow it to track my location. The ISP I use is big on privacy, which is why I use it, so all you'll get is it's location somewhere up north, not mine down the road.

I mention it because EVERY single time I try to post a comment, some of which are actually favorable, it wants me to allow access to where my computer is and really we could just do this rigmarole once a visit not every comment.

But nice website.

I just tried out posting a comment on the interactive map, and yes it did ask me for at least one postcode when I registered and then another pop-up came on the screen saying "We don't know where you are! If you let your browser share your location, we will place the marker in your current location." I ignored this, closed that pop-up and dragged the marker to where I wanted it and made my comment. Don't know if this helps at all . . .
Friday 25 July 2014 1.37pm
Just a brief update on this for those who are interested.

Since launching at the beginning of July, the inlondonbridge.co.uk comment board has attracted 165 contributions. Many thanks to everyone who has taken part so far.

Asked to focus on the themes of Identity, Connectivity, Design & Character, Economy, Public Realm and Partnerships, the comments have identified areas that are of the most concern to-date.

'Greening' is the most talked about issue, followed by cycle related problems, signposting, seating, 'pop-ups', and lighting.

The many parks and gardens were noted and appreciated along with a desire to make more of them than we currently do. Tooley Street is perhaps the most debated single area, with traffic and pollution sighted as big problems here.

So far, roughly 40% of respondents have been residents and 30% local employees, the rest made up of visitors, property owners and employers.

There is still plenty of time to take part - the 'porthole' will be open until January 2015 at least.

If you'd like to join in go to inlondonbridge.co.uk and follow the instructions.

Thanks again for all contributions. The greater the volume and the greater the ideas, the stronger the case for including them in the final document will be.

Don Campbell
Team London Bridge
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions