London SE1 community website

New Kent Road cycle lane: are police being ‘overzealous’?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Sunday 23 November 2014 11.50am
Even more interestingly, if you watch the video at this link you will notice that there are two of the PCSOs but they stop only one person for cycling on the shared space but the other one who is uninvolved in the controversy with Mr Gregory is completely oblivious to the one who cycles onwards past the "no cycling" sign which signals the end of the shared use path.

The uselessness of those two PCSOs seems to be the singular message from the video. THe selective enforcement alone is likely to render the FPN null and void.
Sunday 23 November 2014 2.01pm
I did watch the video and it seemed he overtook a cyclist also had to swerve to avoid a signpost thingy?
Monday 24 November 2014 12.30pm
marcusm wrote:
Even more interestingly, if you watch the video at this link you will notice that there are two of the PCSOs but they stop only one person for cycling on the shared space but the other one who is uninvolved in the controversy with Mr Gregory is completely oblivious to the one who cycles onwards past the "no cycling" sign which signals the end of the shared use path.
The uselessness of those two PCSOs seems to be the singular message from the video. THe selective enforcement alone is likely to render the FPN null and void.

It's interesting how people see the same thing and come to quite different conclusions.

The comments on the website hosting that video pretty much cover the spectrum from "The police are stupid" to "The cyclist didn't know what he was doing and was being deliberately and unneccessarily confrontational" (my paraphrasing).

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 24 November 2014 3.28pm
I don't get it (maybe I am PCSO) but the cyclist is on the cyclepath, goes past the phone box where the path appears interrupted, then back onto cyclepath, then off it again to overtake the other cyclist, stays off it and then goes past the signpost. If he'd gone back onto the cycle path after overtaking, or not overtaken and stayed behind the other cyclist on the cyclepath, would that have been OK?
Monday 24 November 2014 3.51pm
It does seem a very confusing cycle lane and unfair how he has been selectively stopped. In my view, he would have grounds for contesting the summons on the basis of ambiguous signage.

Personally - and perhaps I'm in the minority - I would've just cycled in the road, which is what I do anywhere I go.
Tuesday 25 November 2014 4.10pm
I think that the cyclists point is that the cycle lane is an artifact of prior use, as the entire path is shared space meaning that he can cycle on any part of it. the signage seems to bear this out and I think that would outweigh the prior painted lane markings. The cycle in a red circle just past the PCSOs would seem to indicate the limit of the shared space.
Wednesday 26 November 2014 1.45am
What happens if you don't stop?
Do they call a police car and have you chased?

I am a very responsible and careful cyclist, and get as fed up with the lycra louts as the next beleaguered pedestrian of which I am usually one, but no one chases the lycra brigade. Maybe the PCO's can't catch them.

This just looks like a trap for easy targets in a badly designed and signposted cycle lane and there are a LOT of those round here.
Tuesday 10 February 2015 5.16pm
The CPS has dropped the prosecution

http://road.cc/content/news/142351-prosecution-london-cyclist-who-allegedly-strayed-cycle-path-dropped-eleventh

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Related news & features

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions