London SE1 community website

Westminster Bridge

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Saturday 12 July 2014 12.21am
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:

That's just not cricket!
Sunday 13 July 2014 3.17pm
Two cup-and-ball games going strong between Hays Galleria and City Hall today. Perpetrators darkish skinned, broken English, ethnicity unknown (I couldn't catch enough of what they were saying to recognise an accent or their own language).

This is private land (as we're often reminded) so it's presumably up to 'More London' to police it. I had a look at one of their discrete 'private property' notices, which confirms the ban on cycling, skateboarding and rollerskating, but doesn't say anything about a ban on 'gambling or games of chance' (in any case, there's no 'chance' involved in these games!).

eDWaRD WooDWaRD re 'lucky posy women' - isn't selling 'lucky white heather' a good old English Gypsy custom? Like fortune telling (Gypsy Petulengro et al)- something that these exotic people, with their wide knowledge of herbs and their second sight and native wisdom were famous for? Has the trade been taken over by immigrant Roma?

I don't object to getting money from tourists - it's a long-standing London tradition. But these new immigrants seem to be reinventing the scams that native London rogues and villains used to carry on. Have we no rogues and villains of our own, or have they all got jobs in City banks and businesses?

In any case, it's bad for London's reputation as a tourist destination, and perhaps it's something the Mayor should be taking action against.
Thursday 1 September 2016 5.33pm
Proposal for a Public Space Protection Order (PSPO):
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/8881

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 1 September 2016 7.02pm
What surprises me, is that people still fall for cups and balls, a scam that has been going on for millennia...

Friday 2 September 2016 7.05pm
Who would trust the gent with his gaze averted at the back? He looks as guilty as Hell.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions